4.3 to *8.4 UPGRADE

Hi everyone

I just did the 4.3 to 8.4 upgrade on my 2011 Journey R/T and everything went together perfectly and the whole thing seems to be working great. Except for 1 thing, I dont have navigation which is the main reason I went this route. 

I purchased the center stack complete from a scrap yard and they claimed it was removed from a 2011 with the backup camera. They gave me the backup camera assembly as well, however, I did not install that yet. The company said it was a navigation unit and I took his word for it, I know, shame on me. But I am wondering if perhaps I missed something. I noticed there was a couple of open plugs on the back of the radio portion. Am I missing a connector somewhere? Or does this unit just not have navigation?

I have seen pictures of the rear of other units and it looks like two of my open plugs have a connectors in them. I have circled them in red in the attached picture. The picture is not my radio, mine came without any cut wires, just open plugs.

The part number on the radio is P05091134AG

Any have any thoughts? Did the parts guy rip me off or am I just missing something?

Thank in advance

s-l1600.jpg

If you don't have the nav icon, you don't have a nav unit.  No sales codes required, though there are for the backup camera, once you get it installed.  If you have the nav icon but no lock, the nav may not be working or you don't have a functional satellite antenna.

I thought R/Ts came with 8.2 & SiriusXM standard?  At least they do in Canada.

You are right. The Sirius antenna is used for both the music and the navigator.  And if you can receive Sirius, the antenna is working.

So, do you not have the navigator soft key?  If not, then you don't have a nav radio (or it's defective).

Edited by bramfrank

No, unfortunately the NAV key is not there. Its not like there is a spot for it, the rest of the soft keys are all spaced perfectly. I would think that if there was an issue, there might be a space for the NAV key. 

Sounds like the guy at the scrap yard was wrong. I dont think he intentionally ripped me off, but since I paid for a NAV unit maybe he has one that we can just swap. Any ideas what those connectors I circled are for in the picture? Also, he gave me the backup camera for free with the deal. I havent taken the old one off yet but is all the wiring there and I simply plug it in, or do I have to run some wires up to the radio?

I used the VIN search to find the original equipment list for everything that was installed when it was built. It does in fact show the 4.3 display with SIRIUS, Uconnect and Bluetooth. I have the VIN for the car that the 8.4 came out of and did the same search and it does not list Navigation. To check the accuracy of the lists, I checked a VIN of a DJ that does have Navigation and it lists the Navigation option. So evidently the scrap yard guy was wrong, the one I purchased does not have Navigation.