Brake installation question

rozwell911

For anyone who has installed new front pads or rotors in their Journey (i have the 3.5 SXT FWD), how easy was the installation?? I am a fairly seasoned person when it comes to brakes as i have done them a on many cars recently.

One forum said it was a "swing" type caliper and it made installtion of the pads roughly 15 minutes per side...>ANy feed back from members here?

Thanks Everyone!

I changed my rotors & pads & yes it is straight forward 2 bolts hold the calipers & 2 bolts hold the rotor in behind the caliper mount

Thanks again for the reply Larry.

I am not replacing the rotors....i am only replceing the pads.

As a tech, i am aware that turning or replaceing the rotors is always recomended. Unfortuantly, at this time, becuase of my current trip to southern california this firday, and the fact that no one in my area has the rotors at a price i can aforaid or in stock, i am forced to put the pads on with out new or turned rotors (places around here want dont have peopel after 5pm to turn rotors...and i dont get off work till 430 :rant2: )

Do you think i will be ok for the time being with the new pads and old rotors?

Thanks again for the reply Larry.

I am not replacing the rotors....i am only replceing the pads.

As a tech, i am aware that turning or replaceing the rotors is always recomended. Unfortuantly, at this time, becuase of my current trip to southern california this firday, and the fact that no one in my area has the rotors at a price i can aforaid or in stock, i am forced to put the pads on with out new or turned rotors (places around here want dont have peopel after 5pm to turn rotors...and i dont get off work till 430 :rant2: )

Do you think i will be ok for the time being with the new pads and old rotors?

Hard to say. How worn are your current pads? Are you metal to metal, or are they just low (like mine)? Do you have any pulse in the brakes when they are applied? Does the wheel turn when you apply the brakes? How many miles are on the rotors?

All these things matter but you can get away with just pads if the answer to all the above questions is no and its your first brake job. I'll be changing my brakes Friday. I plan on leaving the rotors alone since I ONLY HAVE 11,200 miles on the brakes! Rotors looked fine. No rust, smooth and no problems. Just cheap pads from Dodge. Replacing with Wagner ceramic pads.

Hard to say. How worn are your current pads? Are you metal to metal, or are they just low (like mine)? Do you have any pulse in the brakes when they are applied? Does the wheel turn when you apply the brakes? How many miles are on the rotors?

All these things matter but you can get away with just pads if the answer to all the above questions is no and its your first brake job. I'll be changing my brakes Friday. I plan on leaving the rotors alone since I ONLY HAVE 11,200 miles on the brakes! Rotors looked fine. No rust, smooth and no problems. Just cheap pads from Dodge. Replacing with Wagner ceramic pads.

Hey great minds think alike..I too am replaceing with Wagner Ceramics...lol

As for the miles, i jsut crested 12000 miles (19310 KM). My pads are low...not metal to metal. There is a very slight wobble when i brake at high speeds (freeway, , so i know the rotors are a little tweeked, but it something i have to live with until i get paid next month.)

my service advisor was very candid with me and even said the rotors and pads suck and aftermarket woudl be the way to go,....

Oh by the way, crysler warranties them for 12 months 12000 miles.

Hey great minds think alike..I too am replaceing with Wagner Ceramics...lol

As for the miles, i jsut crested 12000 miles (19310 KM). My pads are low...not metal to metal. There is a very slight wobble when i brake at high speeds (freeway, , so i know the rotors are a little tweeked, but it something i have to live with until i get paid next month.)

my service advisor was very candid with me and even said the rotors and pads suck and aftermarket woudl be the way to go,....

Oh by the way, crysler warranties them for 12 months 12000 miles.

You might be ok if the rotors are pretty good but you run the risk of grooving your new pads from the old rotors and shortening the life of the new pads

You might be ok if the rotors are pretty good but you run the risk of grooving your new pads from the old rotors and shortening the life of the new pads

I thought about that....it is unfortunately a risk i will have to take for the time being...

By the way, installing was a breeze.....easiest brakes i have ever installed!!!