Third row head rests - do they come out?

wills

Hi,

We got our Journey yesterday, but we are waiting for the handbook - there are none in the UK at the moment apparently. So, can a kid person please tell me if it's possible to remove the 3rd row headrests? I've taken the second row ones out, but the 3rd row fold automatically when the seats go down and they don't seem to want to come out the same way? Rear visibility is pretty poor with them in.

Thanks

Third Row Passenger Seats — Seven Passenger

Models

These head restraints are non-adjustable and nonremovable.

However, you can fold them forward when

they are not in use by passengers. Refer to “50/50 Split

Third-Row Passenger Seats with Fold-Flat Feature” for

operating instructions.

AND THIS IS AS FOLLOWS

To Unfold the Seat

Grasp the assist strap loop on the seatback and pull it

toward you to raise the seatback. Continue to raise the

seatback until it locks in place. Then, IT is at this stage that you DO NOT RAISE the head restarint (UNLESS THE SEAT IS TO BE USED) raise the head

restraint to lock it in place.

The seatback can also be locked in a reclined position. To

do so, pull the latch release-loop located at the top of the

seatback upward, allow the seatback to recline, and

release the release-loop.

• 2 months later...

Yes they come off. Squeeze your fingers under the headrest to the sleeves. There is a lock button (like for the front headrest, but in this case, there is one on both sleeves) on each sleeve. Push both of them at the same time and lift the headrest. It should come off.

Yeah Sam is exactly correct, on my Journey the releases face the center of the vehicle. The one closest to the center is the larger of the two releases, and the outter one is the harder one to get to. The release is in recessed into the plastic ring, the problem in trying to locate it is that you have to do it blindly as there is no adjustment for the headrest. Once you see how it works it will be easier the next time, but until you get it removed you'll be cursing it and you fingers will be sore!

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Greetings, Is there anyway to remove the headrest on the third row seats? It is a safety hazard and it blocks the driver's view, I know you can place the seats down or even move the seats up with keeping the headrest down, however I cannot do that if someone is actually sitting in the back. Thanks

As already posted in this thread, the third row headrests are not removable.

I keep my headrests folded when the third row seat is up when nobody is sitting in them and have no issue with rear visibility. You wouldn't gain much more visibility with the headrests removed compared to when they are folded.