Can’t Get Rid Of P0303 Error

jeadams

Hi all, here to see if you guys can help me out. My wife’s 2010 Dodge Journey SXT keeps throwing a code P0303, I know this is a #3 cylinder misfire code and I have been trouble shooting it but it keeps coming back. The motor is a 3.5L V6. This is what I have done to it so far.

1 – Sparkplug change

2 – Verified that the coil pack is good

3 – Changed the fuel injector

4 – Did a compression test, it came out around 130

I also have changed out the EGR valve because of an earlier code that was thrown. Is the compression on the #3 cylinder the issue? I am going to do a leak down test on it this weekend and see if it might be an exhaust valve issue. Meant to add that the car runs fine and there is no noticeable misfire or rough idling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This happened to me with a 2012 DJ Crew and it ended up being a cylinder head replacement. You might want ask the service manager if they're covering the 2010 for the same issue. The extended warranty for this issue was for up to 150,000 miles

Good luck

Not a recall, an RRT (Rapid response transmittal) .....dealers are supposed to run the vin any time you in for service, and do any of these that show up. Not a common thing. Good for customer satisfaction.It was PCM flash update for false codes

Flash: MIL Illumination P0441, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306,

P0420, P0430, P113D, P113E, P0133, P0153

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

2012 (JC) Journey

**2012 (JS) 200/Avenger**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to **JC** vehicle equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales

code ERB) built before November 15, 2011 (MDH 1115XX) or **JS vehicle

equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB) built before December 16, 2011

(MDH 1116XX).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the

NUMBER:

18-004-12

GROUP:

Vehicle Performance

DATE:

January 28, 2012

Technician may find that any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been set.

a.

P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance

b.

P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank 1)

c.

P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank2)

d.

P0133 - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response

e.

P0153 - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response

f.

P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire

g.

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire

h.

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire

i.

P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire

j.

P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire

k.

P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire

l.

P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire

m.

P113D - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)

n.

P113E - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)

Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

DIAGNOSIS:

Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in

TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other then

the ones listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary

before proceeding further with this bulletin.

If a customers VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other

customers that describe the symptom/condition or if the technician finds the DTC, perform

the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

1 04275086AD Label, Authorized Modification

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2

volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the

flash process.

NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.

1. Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Follow the detailed service procedures

available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 8 - Electrical >

Electronic Control Modules - Service Information > Module - Powertrain Control >

Standard Procedures > PCM/ECM Programming.

After PCM reprogramming, Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other

modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all

DTCs after the flash and allow the tech to clear them

2010 is the 3.5L, not the Pentastar. That procedure probably won't apply. How many miles are on your DJ? If around 100,000, have you replaced your timing belt/water pump? Not sure how much that would cause this particular issue, but those belts are only intended to last 100k miles (and if you have the timing belt off, you may as well replace the water pump while you're at it since it only adds 5 more minutes of work.)

• 2 weeks later...