Low Offset Rims

SeanTacular

Ive always liked the look of trucks or suv's with rims and rubber hanging out the wheel wells like an inch or so. I found these rims that will fit the journey for only $600. 17x8 with offset of +20. offset calculator says they will extend outward over stock by 1.5 inches. My only worry is if it may rub the fender edge when shock is compressed. Ive never seen the wheel come anywhere close to the fender lip or going as far as up and in the fender well. What do you guys think?? Maybe im just nuts! hahaha I also saw a new dodge minivan that had its wheels hanging out an inch+ and it wasnt lifted either so Im thinking this may work.

post-12497-0-57090300-1456334328_thumb.p

post-12497-0-38746200-1456334364_thumb.j

Edited by SeanTacular

On the Nitro, inside the back of front wheel wells was something call a "pinch weld". When the guys would do this to their Nitros, they had to take a hammer to this, to flatten it out so there would be no rubbing on full lock turns. I have no idea if the DJ even has a pinch weld!

Edited by dhh3

I did some googling when I first got the Journey, looking at options, and as the bolt pattern is the same as my previous Jeep, there are a lot of low offset rims available

My favorite site for comparing tire sizes and wheel offsets, is;

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Where you can compare factory wheel/tire specs, to others you are considering.

Attached picture is not mine, but one I found via google.

I was tempted to try my 1.5" spacers on my stock wheels, that I had kept from my Jeep, and with a quick look with a tape measure, the factory wheels would have sat pretty flush with the body/fender.

post-13002-0-39303200-1456350215_thumb.j

Just make sure the centre bore is correct, you may also need hubcentric rings if it is different.

Did you find the rims at a shop, or second hand? If at a shop, they could probably test fit one for you first.

Being a +20 rim, it won't stick out as far as you think, it will only be a 20mm difference over your stock wheels. To make them flush with the fenders, or stick out, you will need an offset of 0, or less. Check that link to the tire size calculator I put in my last post, you can plug in the different wheel sizes, offsets, etc to help you pick out your wheels.

Just trying to help you out, don't want you to be disappointed after you purchase the wheels.

The rims are an inch and a half wider. The offset calculator said it would be 40 mm difference towards the outside of the vehicle and I measured with a tape measure and it will stick out an inch past the fender just like I want. Found them online at a rim shop. Next pay check I'll be getting them on. CB is bigger so I will need rings but I ran my last car with aftermarket rims for a year before I got rings and couldn't really tell the difference even at 150kmph. I will try and find some tho. Just gotta make sure they are pretty cantered when you crank down the nuts.

Found the rims online at a shop. CB is larger so I will need rings but I ran my other car with aftermarket rims with no rings for a year and never really noticed at all even at 160kmph but I will still try and find rings cuz I'm anal so if I can find it I must have it lol. Stock 17's are 6.5" wide and these new rims are 8" wide. The calculator seems off on your link and doesn't equate to 1010tires.com offset calculator and my calculations either. Your site posted says rims would only be .8 inch outwards. Doesn't make sense. First adding extra 1.5 inch to a +40 offset would add 19mm to both edges making the rim 19mm's pushed outwards. Then add 20mm for the lower offset which should push it another 20mm's which equals 39mm which is an inch and a half and that's exactly what 1010 tires says and my brain lol. Am I and the 1010 website missing something?

Disclaimer, I'm just trting to help you out!!

So, when I eye balled w/tape measure, my 1.5inch spacers, from the edge of my current, stock tires/rims, the spacers would have put my wheels even with the fenders, or flush.

Now, 1.5inches = 38.1mm

So unless I'm totally offbase and confused, or missing something, you would need at least a zero offset rim, just to put your wheels flush with the fenders.

You say you want them to stick out past your fenders, you, again, unless I'm totally out to lunch, should be looking at negative offset rims, like what are used on Jeeps to get the wheels/tires, to stick out past the fenders.

Remember, I'm coming from the Jeep world, where my Jk had, I believe 40mm offaet stock wheels, and I put on the 1.5inch spacers to avoid rubbing larger tires at full steering lock, and the spacers barely put the wheels/tires sticking out of the fenders. If my calculations are correct, with the addition of the spacers, I was at about a 2mm offset.

I no expert, but have lots of experience over the years with aftermarket wheels and playing with offsets. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, I just don't want you Sean, or amyone else, to be disappointed after spending their hard earned cash

I better check the 1010tire calc to see what you mean ;)

So, I just checked 1010tires, and I think I'm bang on in my thinking, plugging in stock wheel width and offset, compared to new wheel and offset, says

"Extend an extra 39mm" position of the outside edge of the wheel. So essentially, measure 39mm (roughly 1.5inch) out from your current wheel, and that's where your new wheel will sit.

Edited by Steve_T

I already ruin my own fuel economy with my foot so I could just drive better and increase it with wider rims lol also road noise doesn't bother me. I have aftermarket mufflers with the straight thru design. I also ride a motorcycle with aftermarket straight pipe so I'm pretty deaf haha Cody go down to 17's and you'll find tons of really bad ass rims around $600-$700. Plus off-road rims look better with thicker tires and 17" tires are also cheaper and have waaaay more choice in tread design. And Steve don't get me wrong I'm glad you're helping I was just confused by the difference with that website and my brain and 1010tires website saying something different. Maybe there something missing. I've seen a few ads for 17" journey reps that listed a +35 offset but everyone here says +40 which I was using. I used a tape measure today and 39 mm did out the rim just outside of the fender by an inch. Did you measure yours with 19" rims? There has to be something different.

Ok figure out the difference. Your site is listing where the tire will be. Since I have wide tires on thinner rims and will then be putting them on wider rims the tire will move outwards just a hair less than in inch and my tires are pretty flush since they bubble a hell of a lot being 225 on 6.5" wide rims. When on wider rims the tire will bubble far less. 1010tires just talks about the rim edge moving 1.5 inches out. Lol that was driving me nuts!!

I'm in toronto and the rims where on kijiji. Seller is "Brampton tire warehouse" .Theres like 6-7 rims like that all just a bit different and all around $600-$700 with tax. I just searched 17" 5x127. I bought a used pair of eagle alloy 140 series black with silver lip in a +2 offset I found yesterday on kijiji. Sticks out nice and far with tires it will be 2 1/4 inches and only $200

post-12497-0-78354500-1456619249_thumb.p

post-12497-0-21199100-1456619505_thumb.j

Edited by SeanTacular

I thought it may have been them.

I'm in Ottawa, and they post their ads on kijiji here too. Shipping would be a deal breaker. I've got a couple saved searches, looking for 5x127, 5x5, dodge wheels, etc, I'm sure I'll find a set before next fall, don't want to jump the gun and just 'settle' for steelies.

Those rims you got should look great, looking forward to some pics!

• 3 weeks later...

Did this ever unfold into anything? I'm curious after all of the offset and overall diameter chat if the caliper clearance is going to cause any problems on this style wheel.

Although there is enough spacer talk that this may not be an issue :)