My journey with new 18" rims......

email4walker

Rims for a Journey are a little hard to find because of the new bolt pattern. In my case, I had to order them myself because no tire/rim stores had anything that would fit. The right offset was the thing I had a hard time finding. These are not chrome, only polished. the good thing about ordering them myself is that no one else has them, yet.

post-1005-1255696674_thumb.jpg

post-1005-1255696742_thumb.jpg

post-1005-1255697005_thumb.jpg

It looks really nice, I like it. What size tires did you go with????

I thought about after market tinting the windows. Will they peel and bubble over time (5 years or more)?

Tire size: 225 60-18

The orginal size was 225 70-16

I thought the ride would change because of the thinner tire, but it didn't. It is still a pretty soft ride. It does handle better in the turns now. It dosen't sway as much now. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell everyone that the offset on those rims are 35. The offset should be 40. The 5mm difference helps in the handling (it help with the sway thing I spoke of). I would not recommend going anything above a 35 offset. If you do you will run the risk of damaging your bearings, etc. When you buy your rims, make sure you ask about the offset. I had a few places ready to sell me rims with a 15, 20, and 25mm offset. They didn't care about the offset, only the bolt pattern. Once I asked about the offset and will it damage the bearings, all of them said "yeah, it will over time". Of course my reaction is, Why are going to sell them to me then?!

Anyway, ask tons of questions. The Journey is so new, a lot of places don't know that much about it.

Also, the dodge caliber and avenger use some of the same parts. You can cross reference them and get parts for your Journey cheaper. Example: I wanted the super white headlight bulbs for my car (not those blueish ones, just bright white). On ebay, If you buy the ones listed for the Journey, they run about $25 + shipping. If you buy the ones for the Caliber (same part number, wattage, etc) it was only $10. How long will they last before they burn out, thats another story...... but for me, so far so good.....

Also, the dodge caliber and avenger use some of the same parts. You can cross reference them and get parts for your Journey cheaper. Example: I wanted the super white headlight bulbs for my car (not those blueish ones, just bright white). On ebay, If you buy the ones listed for the Journey, they run about $25 + shipping. If you buy the ones for the Caliber (same part number, wattage, etc) it was only $10. How long will they last before they burn out, thats another story...... but for me, so far so good.....

You don't mean the $10 ebay "Xenon HID" bulbs do you?

You don't mean the $10 ebay "Xenon HID" bulbs do you?

I it was not those exact ones, but something like that. I tried to find the exact one I bought, but i don't see them anymore. I figured for $10 i would give them a try. I had sylvania silverstar ultra ones before and they where nice, but for the price, they where not worth it. One problem I have had is the headlight beam on my Journey (no matter what bulb I use) does not reach that far out. Is that a common problem? Can the headlights be adjusted up a little? The journey headlight bulb wattage is 55w. I have seen after market bulbs for the Journey that are around 80w.

Has any one tried them? I'm to scared to try them because they may melt something in the headlight plastic lens.

Sorry about this, I will try and move this question to a different fourm. ;)

• 5 months later...

Email4Walker,

when you say about the headlights being adjusted UP more... i do not know if it applies to the US Journeys, but the UK spec'ed models have a TSB about the headlights needing to have a seperate earthing wire run back to the earth points on the front suspension strut housings with in the engine bay...

i had my passenger (your DRIVERS SIDE) headlight, always dipping down low when using, constantly had new headlights to try and sort the problem, but since the SEPERATE earth wires have been added, had no problems since... had to constantly kick up a fuss though...

have also been advise (off the record though) that the Journey uses a "Common" Chrysler light leveling switch (centre console mounted, by ESP switch) which has 4 settings, and 2 are not fully wired as the journey only has/needs 2 settings... Typical bean counter (accountant) run move or what...

hope this is of some help!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

This sounds way too familiar to me. My JC constantly keeps dipping down the front left headlight. What separate ground wiring are you refering to? The levelling adjustment motor has three wires to it ; plus, ground and signal. Did you do somerthing to the ground wire?

• 1 month later...