Do you change your own oil?

OhareFred

Hello all!

Got a question for anyone. I used to change my own oil, using Mobil 1. I had a 00 Durango that turned into an 09 Journey (which I love!) that I always did my own maintenence on, from oil changes to brakes to belts. Now I have my Journey with a LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRENTY. Now if I have a problem and lets say the engine blows and I have done my own oil changes using Mobil 1 or Royal Purple and have my reciepts, does that prove I did the proper maintenece? All it really proves is I purchased oil and filters, right? Will Dodge/Chrysler give me a hassel? I've had the Journey about 1 year and have taken it to the dealer for the 2 oil changes I needed (only have 9,500 miles on it). I am due for a third shortly and would do my own oil change and use synthetic but am a little worried. If I go to the dealer and use synthetic, they want $70! I can do it at home for $30. Any thoughts?

Hello all!

Got a question for anyone. I used to change my own oil, using Mobil 1. I had a 00 Durango that turned into an 09 Journey (which I love!) that I always did my own maintenence on, from oil changes to brakes to belts. Now I have my Journey with a LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRENTY. Now if I have a problem and lets say the engine blows and I have done my own oil changes using Mobil 1 or Royal Purple and have my reciepts, does that prove I did the proper maintenece? All it really proves is I purchased oil and filters, right? Will Dodge/Chrysler give me a hassel? I've had the Journey about 1 year and have taken it to the dealer for the 2 oil changes I needed (only have 9,500 miles on it). I am due for a third shortly and would do my own oil change and use synthetic but am a little worried. If I go to the dealer and use synthetic, they want $70! I can do it at home for $30. Any thoughts?

I have done my own & use synthetic oil since day one if you are concerned use the Mopar filter-keep the receipt & write the day & mileage on it that you change it what can they say?

I have 62000klms on mine & the dealer told me that I did not even have to bring it in for a check up as there is only oil & filter & air filter to maintain as there is no fuel filter & the tranny is supposedly sealed even though I got the dealer to change my oil & filter @ the one year mark

My 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same question for the service advisor. The short answer is that it doesn't matter what you did because they will ship the damaged engine to Chrysler for inspection. It will be taken apart to determine the cause of the failure to rule out design flaws or safety concerns. Then they will look at your service history to see if you've missed any important services that might have caused the failure. So your receipts are important if the damage is related to the servicing that you performed (the oil changes). If it is something totally unrelated, like a failed water pump, which caused your engine to overheat and seize (which I doubt because your temp gauge would be in the red! And hopefully you would notice that before the engine dies!) then your receipts are not as important. So, in any event, keep your receipts!

Up here in Canada, we don't have a lifetime powertrain warranty, but if we did, you can be sure that I'd read every word in that warranty twice for any restrictions regarding owner servicing and maintenance. If it doesn't say anything and you are still worried, then write an email (do not phone as you need a paper trail) to your dealer's service dept. (or even Chrysler) asking about owner servicing and maintenance and if they say okay, print out and keep those emails with your receipts just in case. Make sure you get their full name on the email (if they only give their first name, reply back asking for their full name and title just so that you know who you are talking to and that they are qualified to make this response). If they are confident about their response and not just blowing you off, they should have no problem giving you this info. Then it's up to you to do the maintenance properly.

• 1 month later...

I got a question for you guys.....I am changing my own oil this afternoon because i am leaving on a trip this weekend. WHen i called my local Kragen auto parts (Owned by O'rilley'S) they said that there were 2 different size oil filters for the 3.5 liter....A long narrow skinny filter and a short fat, wide filter....

And that the only way to tell is to take a look at my oil filter.

SO here are my questions:

1) Are there really 2 differnt oil filters?

1a) If so, what is the right one for the 3.5 liter FWD(or is ther enow way to tell with out looking?)?

2 where is the oil filter located?

I got a question for you guys.....I am changing my own oil this afternoon because i am leaving on a trip this weekend. WHen i called my local Kragen auto parts (Owned by O'rilley'S) they said that there were 2 different size oil filters for the 3.5 liter....A long narrow skinny filter and a short fat, wide filter....

And that the only way to tell is to take a look at my oil filter.

SO here are my questions:

1) Are there really 2 differnt oil filters?

1a) If so, what is the right one for the 3.5 liter FWD(or is ther enow way to tell with out looking?)?

2 where is the oil filter located?

1. Not sure, but mine is a wix oil filter and it is not long narrow skinny. I would call another parts store to confirm. I think this is the one I used... the picture of the filter looks the same but the markings are different... (ie. missing brand logo etc). Click the one for the 3.5L engine.

Wix Filter For Journey

2. located near the bottom passenger side front wheel. Just crawl under the vehicle and look towards the passenger side wheel and you will see it there.

1. Not sure, but mine is a wix oil filter and it is not long narrow skinny. I would call another parts store to confirm. I think this is the one I used... the picture of the filter looks the same but the markings are different... (ie. missing brand logo etc). Click the one for the 3.5L engine.

Wix Filter For Journey

2. located near the bottom passenger side front wheel. Just crawl under the vehicle and look towards the passenger side wheel and you will see it there.

Thank you so much for the prompt, detailed reply....>I use to work at Kragens and sometimes their software would mix up the filters if there was more than one motor group offered for the car in question.

I'll take a look at the filter later today and go get my stuffs.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I have always taken any of my vehicles in to be serviced for anything they need to have done. I have always felt and hold true to the fact that they will know better what to do to it than I ever would. I have always gotten very good trade ins and I believe it is b/c I take excellent care of my vehicles.

Tonight mine is at the dealership lol waiting for a new radiator but :rolleyes: it will be I hope happy and back in my garage tomorrow night

I love the Journey. Even with all it's little ~things~ It sure has a personality

• 4 weeks later...