Higher pressure tires issues with TMPS?

bigunclejethro

Are the new tires the same size as the old tires? I've always replaced tires with all season touring (which is what typically comes on any vehicle I've ever bought) and use the tire placard information on the driver door to set the inflation. Any information on the sidewall of the tire is a max cold inflation pressure, which is typically not the recommended running pressure. If it's the same size and aspect as the OEM tire, just fill it to what the placard reads and keep an eye out for uneven wear.

If it's a different wheel with different tire pressure, then you'd need a few things adjusted - speedometer for one (possibly), and a new threshold for when the TPMS would indicate low pressure. Perhaps a dealership can adjust these? They're all electronic anyway.

Are the new tires the same size as the old tires? I've always replaced tires with all season touring (which is what typically comes on any vehicle I've ever bought) and use the tire placard information on the driver door to set the inflation. Any information on the sidewall of the tire is a max cold inflation pressure, which is typically not the recommended running pressure. If it's the same size and aspect as the OEM tire, just fill it to what the placard reads and keep an eye out for uneven wear.

If it's a different wheel with different tire pressure, then you'd need a few things adjusted - speedometer for one (possibly), and a new threshold for when the TPMS would indicate low pressure. Perhaps a dealership can adjust these? They're all electronic anyway.

Agree with bfurth... You should be setting the tire pressure per the label in the door, not per the tire.

The new tires will not be the same size as the old ones but it does look like they are rated for the same pressure as the stockers, so I suppose there is no concern. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

I found a good website (can't remember the name now) that spits out how far off the speedo would be at. I'm planning to go from 225/55/19's to 245/55/19's, and the speedometer difference at 60 would now be 64, which to me is not a big deal. You should be able to get whatever adjusted at the dealership though.

As long as they fit . . . . and realise that the sidewall number is the maximum pressure for the tire when it is carrying the full rated weight and operating at highway speeds.

Always use the vehicle manufacturer's pressure settings as your staring point.