Last grasp as to dimensions of dash speakers

I know they are 3.5" and the cutout size is a tad less than 3.2. But the 800 lb gorilla is how deep are they (or how deep can they be?) Any insights deeply appreciated. I have the awful Alpine upgraded system, that I am ripping out starting with a new amp and all the speakers. I want to instal coaxial speakers, not just tweeters.

According to Crutchfield, there are no aftermarket speakers available for the DJ dash. There is not enough depth because of all the plastic defroster ducting. This is why I went with a pair of Alpine tweeters, and they barely fit.

According to Crutchfield, there are no aftermarket speakers available for the DJ dash. There is not enough depth because of all the plastic defroster ducting. This is why I went with a pair of Alpine tweeters, and they barely fit.

I find that hard to believe... My tweeters are very shallow. There just isn't a direct replacement. One could easily fabricate a mount and put in something else that fits fine. Sounds like way more work than it is worth though as it took me all of 10 minutes to remove my door trim, install a 6.5" speaker in the door, mount the associated crossover behind the door trim, drill a hole in the sail panel and mount the tweeter in said hole...

Edited by Lobitz68

I was on the phone with a Crutchfield tech for about an hour. First, he said it was the shape, and finally concluded that it was the depth. If you do a search on the Crutchfield site for a DJ, only the doors are listed.

It may be the ducting to the small grills that blow air to the windows on the front doors. And, the tech who installed my tweeters said that there was barely enough room for them. I have no reason to doubt these guys.

Out of curiosity, why would you swap 6x9s for 6.5s in your doors?

I was on the phone with a Crutchfield tech for about an hour. First, he said it was the shape, and finally concluded that it was the depth. If you do a search on the Crutchfield site for a DJ, only the doors are listed.

It may be the ducting to the small grills that blow air to the windows on the front doors. And, the tech who installed my tweeters said that there was barely enough room for them. I have no reason to doubt these guys.

Out of curiosity, why would you swap 6x9s for 6.5s in your doors?

Because they sound 1,000 times better... They are components. I've never seen a 6x9 (really closer to 6x8) component system before...

I replaced all of the door speakers already, I have enough tweeter, I want more midrange.. I soon will be able to share the available depth.

What did you use in the door that doesn't give you the mids you want?? My 6.5's fill the mids perfectly and the tweeters are more than enough for the highs. Just need to finish off the box I am building in the in-floor tool box area to round out the bottom end and it should be all good...

OIC. Component set. The Alpine tweeters are a small cylinder. The tops are screwed onto the bottoms, to allow rotation to direct the sound. The top should be visible, but in my case could not be done, because of the possibility of shattering the speaker grates on the defroster panel. So, the whole assembly is under the panel, but the sound is directed to the rear.

I replaced the dash speakers with JBL GTO329 3.5" diamater 1.5" deep coaxial speakers. These, along with a new aftermarket amp have served to address all of the issues I had. I left the Alpine sub in place and it sounds great. Sirius sounds fantastic (I listen to Sirius a lot.)

I replaced the dash speakers with JBL GTO329 3.5" diamater 1.5" deep coaxial speakers. These, along with a new aftermarket amp have served to address all of the issues I had. I left the Alpine sub in place and it sounds great. Sirius sounds fantastic (I listen to Sirius a lot.)

With the amp that you installed in the rear compartment, did you have to run wires from the battery?

My my Kicker Sub is 15a and Alpine Brick Amp is 20a. The Sub gets power from the radio's 15a fuse, and the amp is tied into another 20a fuse location. So, at least for me, no wires had to be run from the battery.

Edited by dhh3

With the amp that you installed in the rear compartment, did you have to run wires from the battery?

Both my Kicker Sub and Alpine Brick Amp are both 20a. The Sub gets power from the radio's 20a fuse, and the amp is tied into another 20a fuse location. So, at least for me, no wires had to be run from the battery.

I'm sure it did... Your examples are both small wattage and wouldn't require and extra run.

I have no idea if they had to run a power cable or if they used the former factory amp power cable. The new amp is 1000 watts, five channels. The new amp is in the compartment in the cargo area by the lift gate, in the floor.

Edited by BearmeatDC

I have no idea if they had to run a power cable or if they used the former factory amp power cable. The new amp is 1000 watts, five channels. The new amp is in the compartment in the cargo area by the lift gate, in the floor.

I am pretty confident with that kind of wattage that there isn't a shop in the world that would try and run it off of the factory wiring harness. Should be easy enough to tell by looking at the amp or in the engine bay to see if they ran a new power wire.

If they're are huge (in comparison tho a factory harness) the installer ran wires directly to the battery.

• 1 year later...

I just had the Mopar/Kicker upgrade kit installed part numbers 77Kick41and 77Kick42. All 6 speakers were plug and play and took less than an hour from start to finish. The doors are 6x9 and dash are 3.5. On my  2015 Crossroad standard audio system.

Edited by Pfleiss

• 1 year later...

Good Afternoon,

I just tore my dash apart because I am looking to upgrade all of the speakers in my DJ and as of right now all of the doors are filled with Rockford Fosgates.  The dash is deep enough for the kicker series dash speakers.  I know of this because I stuck my hand in after pulling up the speaker and it was deep enough to have fit the Rockford Fosgate 3 1/2 in speakers I was looking on Crutchfield and even on their it said those would not fit because of depth.  My kickers are on the way in the mail and I will take pictures of the install once I am finished and I will shine the light on this gloomy topic.  Hope this helps for now as I was once in your shoes wondering how deep until I just tore things apart.

• 7 months later...