Upgrading my alpine system and need insights

I have confirmed some of the Alpine system amps do have problems. I got the dealer to replace mine as it had a firmware error. I had the dealer sit in a similar model on the lot to compare it with the sound of my system. I replaced all of the door speakers with JBL GX series 6X9 speakers. These were 2.3 omh, the same as the speakers removed. They are triaxel and $100 a pair, so $200 for all four at Best Buy, $150 to have all four installed. No more muddled sound, Sirius is enjoyable to listen to, the door speakers play mids/highs and the bass response vastly improved. For the next step, I cannot decide if replacing the amp is a good move. The installer at a Best Buy says any amp I select will result in losing the fade function, is that true? I am hoping if I replace the amp, I can increase the impact of the Alpine subwoofer - am I misguided about the subwoofer objective? Is there a separate subwoofer amp? If so does any one know where it is? If there is one can I just replace that subwoofer amp? I did see in one forum post a picture of the not so great dash speakers. The member said they are slightly smaller than 3.5 inch but he did not say how deep they are (he installed a much smaller tweeter.) Does anyone know how deep the dash speakers are? I have searched around and it seems there are some possible tweeter replacements but they vary in depth. I would prefer a larger speaker for the dash than the ones the guy who posted the dash speaker pictures used. Any insights greatly appreciated.

I have some answers to some of my questions. I found a link to the Dodge page at the Alpine site. One picture shows all of the audio equipment laid out on a table. There is not a sub amp, unless it is in the sub speaker box. All of the door speakers were just woofers, that's why they sounded so muddled. Still not able to get a clue as to how deep the dash speakers are, which makes them hard to replace. I have seen folks say in other posts, the dash speakers are funny shaped. They are not (both from the pictures at Alpine and from the pictures in a post where someone had removed them) they look to be normal 3.5" speakers more telling, the Alpine picture with all of the equipment laid out, shows five of the speakers used in the dash (I bet other non dash speaker locations were in the mix at some point.) Granted in the visual showing placement locations only two of the five appear, in the dash location. I suspect from design to production, someone cut out three speakers. The signal from the amp to the door spears is not low pass (only sending bass) the speakers are low pass (only playing bass.) That explains why just replacing the door speakers makes such a difference, you get mid range and highs to go with the bass. That all said, you likely could just replace the front speakers and have great sound or add mid/tweeter speakers keeping the door speakers. Ending this with a plea for any information as to the depth of the dash speakers. Replacement of the dash speakers is my next goal. I want to find 3" speakers (thus the will fit the slightly less than 3.5" diameter of the current speakers, that are 2 ohm so they match the ohm of the current speakers.) I have called a few Best Buy installer folk to see if they have insights and found no answers. I am holding off on replacement of the amp, until after I replace the dash speakers.

Your Alpine sub is a one-way 6x9 crap paper speaker. It gets it's power from the factory amp. It is located behind the left rear panel - not much space in there to move air IMHO.

I added an alpine amp and a kicker sub to my non-Alpine system with no loss of fade, so I have no idea what he is talking about.

If you want to replace the factory amp, call Crutchfield.

Edited by dhh3

I bet you are the one who replaced the dash speakers. Am I correct? If so any insight as to the depth available for a replacement speaker? Also, thank you for the amp insight. I suspect replacement of the factory amp is in my future. I would venture to say most folks would be happy with just new door speakers. The system sounds pretty damn good now, but I am a audio guy and in my case the system is just not where I want it to be to make me happy.

I also like my music to move me - so I can feel the music. My wife was a DJ on a local rock station for 20 years. Yes, I'm the one who replaced my dash speakers. Crutchfield lists no replacement for the dash speakers because of the amount of room under the defroster panel. There is a little more room on the passenger side. Alpine makes two tweeter sets. The only difference is the crossover. The set with the bigger crossover will not fit because of the defroster ducting. I asked the Best Buy tech to mount the top of the tweeter on top of the speaker grill, but he thought that the grill might shatter if he tried drilling it. So, they are under the defroster panel and aimed toward the back of the car. Amazing what they put out. The radio will only go to 38 volume, but there is absolutely no distortion or clipping. I used to listen at 20, but with the amp, 16 is good. The gain on the Kicker can hurt my ears! And, vibrate my jeans if they are baggy enough. I'm really happy the way that it turned out, but I still want to compare mine to a factory upgrade. I have yet to see a DJ at my Dealer with the option. I have seen the factory amp on ebay for $100 or less.

Edited by dhh3

Jumping off a cliff. Ordered JBL GX 303 3.5" coaxial speakers for the dash. The diameter for install is @3.1" and the mounting depth is just under 1.5" the shallowest one I could find at the 3.5" size. They are 2.3 ohm so they will match the ones being removed. Stay tuned.

See if you can get a crossover and use them as super tweeters. The huge windshield acts like an enhancer to the highs. Let me know how they fit. The Factory Alpine amp may do the crossover for the dash speakers. In the stock system, the dash speakers are on the same channel as the front doors. The old MyGigs were rated at 66w - 16.5 w/channel. I'm guessing that the 8.4 is as least that! Your Alpine amp may use the radio as a pre-amp, or cut it out entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the ohm values for each of the Alpine system speakers?

Is it really THAT important to match those values with aftermarket speakers? I wouldn't be at risk for frying the 8.4 head unit if my replacement speakers didn't have the same values, would I?

What are the ohm values for each of the Alpine system speakers?

Is it really THAT important to match those values with aftermarket speakers? I wouldn't be at risk for frying the 8.4 head unit if my replacement speakers didn't have the same values, would I?

I don't believe that you will get sound if you use speakers with a different resistance. The CanBus system will not see a speaker as being present and shut down that channel on the amp. At least that is my understanding...

All of the speakers are 2 ohm (2.3 to be specfic.) I replaced the door and dash Alpine factory system speakers, except the sub woofer. The dash speakers are 1.5" deep and 3.5" in diameter. The door speakers are 6X9's. The sub appears per Alpine's site and other posts to be 8" enclosed in a special design box.

Edited by BearmeatDC