Dodge Journey 2.0 CRD SXT brake upgrade

Hey guys

I just purchased a Dodge Journey 2.0 CRD SXT (im in the UK) having owned a Dodge Caliber for 2 years. I have been reading a bit on brakes and have gone for some Delphi-Lockheed brake discs (or rotors as you call them) and some EBC pads. I noticed after reading some posts that the later models have bigger brakes.

I looked on a few UK websites and they all sell the standard 302mm Discs for the 2012-2015 models. Did the 2.0 CRD not get the upsized brakes that the US cars got? My other question is will the bigger US brakes fit on my 2.0 CRD?

Im not sure whether to fit what I have purchased or whether I can up size my brakes. I was looking for Brembo kits but cant really find anything for the Journey. Would appreciate any info if I can put on the bigger discs and would I need to change the calipers too?

If it makes any difference to what I can fit I have just purchased some Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65/17 tyres to replace my 225s (only cost me £85 a tyre so really happy)

Hi.

I can't help you about brake upgrade, but I've got something to say about your new tires: total height of your wheels (rim + tyre) is now taller than with 225 tyres. That's because the ratio is the same (65) and width is bigger. Theory says that you would have a little bit faster top speed, but as little bit slower acceleration and hills climbing. Here, in Spain, you even would have a problem with your vehicle inspection, but I don't know how that works in UK.

hey thanks for your reply. I read a few other sites, the wider tyre is only 10mm wider I think I can go up to 255 without getting any rub. Its also within the 2% allowance so my speedo will read 1.17mph slower than my actual speed. Here in the UK they dont test the speedo for accuracy and they only check you have 4 matching tyres. So hopefully I will be ok :)

Your former wheel height (in mm.) was 225 * 0.65 * 2 + 17 * 25.4 = 724.3, and now it's 235 * 0.65 * 2 + 17 * 25.4 = 737.3, as you say, difference is less than 2%, so I don't think you even feel your driving different than it was before your tyre changing.

About brakes, what is your mileage for front pads? Mine is 25.000 kms. (15.000 mi.), more or less. I find it's short, and I was wondering if it would be longer with brake disc upgrade (bigger size, of course). I suppose that upgrade means caliper upgrade too, but I'm not sure. If you find out something more about this, please post it here, naming possible brands we could use.

Enjoy driving!

Edited by pacman

Your former wheel height (in mm.) was 225 * 0.65 * 2 + 17 * 25.4 = 724.3, and now it's 235 * 0.65 * 2 + 17 * 25.4 = 737.3, as you say, difference is less than 2%, so I don't think you even feel your driving different than it was before your tyre changing.

About brakes, what is your mileage for front pads? Mine is 25.000 kms. (15.000 mi.), more or less. I find it's short, and I was wondering if it would be longer with brake disc upgrade (bigger size, of course). I suppose that upgrade means caliper upgrade too, but I'm not sure. If you find out something more about this, please post it here, naming possible brands we could use.

Enjoy driving!

Yes, with a bigger rotor you will need a bigger caliper and a bigger caliper mount...

my Journey is on 27000 miles, I have only had it 2 weeks so not sure if these are the originals, although they are very low on the front so possibly the originals. I noticed the rear pads are mintex not sure if these are stock or not.

I have purchased some EBC Ultimax 2 brake pads they are getting good reviews and are only £20 for a full axle set. I have got the Delphi Lockheed discs, I think they are about as good as any.

I found a very good website which shows you all the alternative part numbers you can use:

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/8243903/delphi-bg4212.html#interchange

These are the brake discs that should fit your dodge unless its the new journey with the bigger discs

Delphi Front Discs Part number bg4212

Delphi Rear Discs Part number BG4247

(2 year warranty on the Delphi Discs)

EBC front pads part number DP1798

EBC rear pads part number DP1840

or if you want even better pads get the EBC greenstuff ones

front pads DP61798

rear pads DP61840

http://ebcbrakesdirect.com/en-gb/Store/Automotive/vt/1/mk/5f0d2c15-4c48-4b75-9f43-11095fa2e09c/md/b662c6a1-a45d-4db2-8f55-f8f50baa9791/vid/97956f9e-9de1-4fc2-9043-d4d64c6100f4

just type those part numbers into the yoyo website and it will show you other compatible parts

Other brands I would consider are Bendix, Blueprint, TRW, Ferodo if you can get them

Also Brembo do front pads for the Journey (GSF in the UK sell them but i dont have part number for them)

Edited by cplmadison

well im still searching for Europe based brakes using Frogboxs part numbers, I found these:

Blueprint ADA104371 , these are 330mm discs and fit the Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD apparently fit the Journey too

The other parts needed listed by frogbox only seem to be available from the USA

I will have a look at the Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD part numbers I assume they will be interchangable

Can anyone confirm if the Grand Voyager uses the same disc/calipers as the Journey?

Edited by cplmadison

just fitted my Delphi discs (from ebay - autosessive shop) and EBC ultimax2 pads from (ebcbrakesdirect)

didnt put any copper grease on the back of pads and absolutely no squeek or anything.

Very happy so far

Definitely recommend them

not sure what brand the pads were that came out but they had less than 1mm left on them LOL (28000 miles showing on the clock) i Guess those were the originals.. i know the rear has mintex on not sure if they are stock?

just so you know the EBC pads come as a full axle set so you get 4 pads, just so you dont order 2 sets (like I did first time round lol)

Found some Brembo pads

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-pads/car/dodge/journey/2009/2-0td/brembo-oe-replacement-brake-pads-front-pad-set

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-pads/car/dodge/journey/2009/2-0td/brembo-oe-replacement-brake-pads-rear-pad-set

Edited by cplmadison