Synthetic?

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We run Amsoil in all our cars. Been doing it for over 10 years. In my Ram right now we do 7500 mile oil changes along with the wifes current car. (we each drive between 22,000-26,000 miles a year) And the Journey will get the same at it's 1st oil change along with the Transmission.

You will have a hard time with the tranny as its a sealed unit with NO dipstick to check levels (which I do not like) has to be done @ the dealer

Ya the 3.5 with the 6 speed autostick is sealed. I think cause it is a new tranny maybe???? I know Ford did that with the new Torqueshift behind the 6.0 Diesel when they both came out. There was a tag that stated, Replace transmission, Do not service/repair. Ford did this in there first model year of the torqueshift <-- I think that is what they called it.

I am not worried if it goes, that is what the warranty is for. Guess they can't say "Did you check the transmission fluid :hysterical: If they did say that though, I think I would take elsewhere.

Rob

Joy.........I had to Torquecrap tranny's. A 99 7.3PS and a 01 7.3PS. If it wasn't the motor it was the tranny with issues.

You guys know what the tranny designation numbers stand for right?

6 is the amout of forward gears .

2 is the strength of the transmission. on a scale of 1-10

Like the 5.9CTD's the auto tranny is 48.

5.7L Hemi is 545

Hey Paul, the 99's and the 01's had the 4R100 tranny great tranny for stock, but not built for the extra torque from a chipped 7.3 PSD. I think it was in late 03 when the first Torqueshift was put into production with the 1st generation 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel

either way I am sure the dealer will be looking after it

Rob

• 1 month later...

Depends on what you like...

After run-in the engine, do a synthetic oil change is good, so that your car's engine will last longer. (Way longer than you will except compare to those with regular oil)

[My test is on Mobile 1, so other synthetic oil, I don't know]

But... 1 thing which drives me nuts is will today's dodge car last up to that 7-8yr without "too many" maintenance.... Usually it's not the engine breaks down first, it's soemthing like tranny, shocks, and spring... those so call wear & tear parts.....