check engine light

cdnraver78

Hello all,

I've had my journey for over a year now, and I love it! Although I still my truck! Anyways, Yesterday my wife and I went out for a cruise around the country side, and after a nice long 5 hr ride of stop and go, and that sorta stuff... got home shut it off and it was all good... went out to do a quick errand and now my check engine light is on?

I've checked the computer, and it says all is fine?!?!?! Go figure?

Today went for a quick jaunt, the light is still on, and can't figure it out. Monday i'll be calling the dealership (if they're open) and find out when i can get it in.

Has anyone else have had this issue?

thanks to all that reply or just browse.

Claudio

Edmonton, AB

Hello all,

I've had my journey for over a year now, and I love it! Although I still my truck! Anyways, Yesterday my wife and I went out for a cruise around the country side, and after a nice long 5 hr ride of stop and go, and that sorta stuff... got home shut it off and it was all good... went out to do a quick errand and now my check engine light is on?

I've checked the computer, and it says all is fine?!?!?! Go figure?

Today went for a quick jaunt, the light is still on, and can't figure it out. Monday i'll be calling the dealership (if they're open) and find out when i can get it in.

Has anyone else have had this issue?

thanks to all that reply or just browse.

Claudio

Edmonton, AB

Probably needs to be scaned by Dodge to get the problem code. Then you should be able to figure out why the light came on.

Check your gas cap, that has turned the check engine light on in mine. After the cap was tightened it cleared.

The gas cap can make the "MIL" turn on, but it will also say "gASCAP” in the odometer if thats the case.

Read this from the manual:

24. Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

This light is part of an Onboard Diagnostic

system called OBD II. The OBD system monitors

emissions, engine, and automatic transaxle con-

trol systems. The MIL will turn on when the key is in the

ON position before engine start. If the MIL does not turn

on when turning the key from LOCK or ACC to ON, have

the condition checked promptly.

Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap,

poor fuel quality, etc., may illuminate the MIL after

engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the MIL

stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In

most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will

not require towing.

If the MIL flashes when the engine is running, serious

conditions may exist that could lead to immediate loss of

power or severe catalytic converter damage. (See page

419 for more information.)

CAUTION!

Prolonged driving with the MIL on could cause

further damage to the emissions control system. It

could also affect fuel economy and driveability. The

vehicle must be serviced before any emissions tests

can be performed.

If the MIL is flashing while the engine is running,

severe catalytic converter damage and power loss

will soon occur. Immediate service is required.

P. 419.

ONBOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM — OBD II

Your vehicle is equipped with a sophisticated Onboard

Diagnostic system called OBD II. This system monitors

the performance of the emissions, engine, and automatic

transaxle control systems. When these systems are oper-

ating properly, your vehicle will provide excellent per-

formance and fuel economy, as well as engine emissions

well within current government regulations.

If any of these systems require service, the OBD II system

will turn on the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). It will

also store diagnostic codes and other information to

assist your service technician in making repairs. Al-

though your vehicle will usually be drivable and not

need towing, see your authorized dealer for service as

soon as possible.

Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message

If the vehicle diagnostic system determines that the fuel

filler cap in loose, improperly installed, or damaged, the

word “gASCAP” will display in the odometer. If this

occurs, tighten the fuel filler cap until a “clicking” sound

is heard and press the TRIP ODOMETER button to turn

off the message. If the problem persists, the message will

appear the next time the vehicle is started.

A loose, improperly installed, or damaged fuel filler cap

may also turn on the MIL.

//

I did not see gASCAP in the odometer, just the MIL light. Took the cap off at the first pump, didn't see it was out of order until I was trying to pay at the pump so I pulled ahead to the next pump. That was when the light came on. After filling it up and putting the cap on the light cleared after it started.

• 1 year later...

The engine light coming on happens to me often, maybe once every few months. I have the 2.7L V6, and run it on E85. I've had the car 15 months and travelled 40000K so far. According to the manual the light comes on when there is a problem in the fuel quality (light steady, not flashing - which means something else). According to the dealer I should just keep driving, and after 10 or so trips it will reset itself. Which it always has so far.

Here they change the mixture of petrol and ethanol in E85 wintertime (to make it easier to start the cars). It is actually only E75 wintertime (25% petrol). I have noticed that the light comes on when they change the ratios spring and autumn.

And just last week the same light came on for the first time on my wife's 4½ year old Ford Focus Flexifuel, which we also run exclusively on E85. The Ford dealer said we should take the car in to have it reprogrammed. That doesn't sound terribly dangerous, so we're waiting the 10 trips to see if it also resets itself.

• 1 month later...

My check engine light came on several times after having driven aprox 1 - 2 miles from home. It would also start to lose power. I had to pull over and shut off and turn engine back on. The dealer said there were no abnormal codes and they couldn't reproduce it. I found that this usually happened when I was in a hurry. Turned out that I was putting the vehicle in gear before it was done doing its pre-start computer test. Once I started taking the time to let the computer fully run its test after turning the ignition, then I had no problems.

I guess I got lazy with the tip start.

Since I last answered I have had a lot of trouble with my Journey and the engine light. After having the car in for service, where they reset the engine light, I would drive a while and it came back on again (and I wait long enough before putting the car in gear). I went past the dealer again, they reset it, and I tried again. At the same time the engine was registering a lot of misfires. I did this a few times, changed from using E85 to petrol and tried it for a few more tanks (at the dealer's suggestion). In all cases the engine light comes on within 50-250 kilometers (30-150 miles) of the dealer resetting it, At the same time - the fuel consumption goes to hell, when the engine light comes on fuel consumption immediately worsens by 20%. And this applies both when running on E85 and when running on petrol, so it doesn't seem to be related to the fuel.

This week the dealer is replacing the catalytic converter and lambda probe to see if that is where the problem is.

About my wife's Ford Focus - when she was in to have the engine light reset the dealer asked what fuel she was using and she replied E85. The dealer then said the light could only be reset when running on petrol - what a mess! So she has had to run a couple of tanks of petrol, and will go back next week to reset the light. Thank god they don't have restrictions like that with my Dodge!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I had my 2011 DJ since 2011, in July of last year the check engine started to go on. each time the codes point to Cam Phasers. They have now been replaced 7 times. One of the cylinder heads was also replaced. There is no end in sight. They keep doing the same "repair" and expect different results! Any others experiencing to this extent ???