What's involved in swapping an 8.2 for an 8.2N?

If I get the radio module from a wrecked 2014 Journey that had Nav and install it in my vehicle (also a '14, with the 8.2 display, with Sat, but without Nav), what needs to be done?

I do not have the original VIN for the donor vehicle and no 'codes'. Is that a deal breaker?

Not much there, because the radios they supply (found on eBay - used and horribly overpriced on top of that) - and their file section seems to have nothing for 'our' radios, which are the RE2 - the 'unlock service' may, or may not work for a Canadian unit, to boot.

Does the vehicle need a sales code flashed to enable navigation?

Lots of questions - and few answers that I can locate on the web.

Nothing to it.

I believe the theft code applies to the screen , not the radio module.

No dealer flash either. Should be a simple swap.

If u got sat radio, you're nav ready.

What's the price on that RE5 radio btw?

Security code is for the radio.

RE2 + sat radio is not "nav ready". Cannot add nav to RE2.

Mr. Milous;

Thanks for your PM yesterday.

With reference to Mcgusto82's post, I believe he was referring to the vehicle, rather than to the radio module.

I was, however under the impression that the module needs to be VIN matched to the vehicle . . . or is this dependent on what year vehicle the donor unit came from?

Mr. Milous;

Thanks for your PM yesterday.

With reference to Mcgusto82's post, I believe he was referring to the vehicle, rather than to the radio module.

I was, however under the impression that the module needs to be VIN matched to the vehicle . . . or is this dependent on what year vehicle the donor unit came from?

The security code is assigned/matched with an algorithm that is derived from the radio serial number, the radio part number and the VIN that the vehicle is going in to. For your 2014 vehicle you'll definitely want to use a 2014 RB5 radio.

Edited by Milous

You need the RB5 radio.

I'd also go for a 2012 or 2011 to avoid the issue with security code.

Just the radio. All the car needs to add nav is a radio module swap.

Your RE2 radio set up (8.4 w/sat radio) has the satellite antenna that the RB5 needs in order to work.

I'd also go for a 2012 or 2011 to avoid the issue with security code.

The security codes started with the 2012 model year, and some late 2011 model year radios also have it. It's no big deal to get the code.

Personally, I would not go with anything other than a 2014 radio, I wouldn't want one built 4 or 5 years ago, too many changes/fixes/updates along the way.

One advantage with the 2014-up radios is that they are compatible with MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). Apple phones do not use MTP, but Android devices do (software 4.0 and above). Windows phones, and Blackberry OS 10 and above all use MTP. The radio software update for MTP will not work on 2013 and prior model year radios.

When I went from my 4.3s to the 8.4 RE2, I sourced all parts from a 2012 car.

My car is also a 2012.

The theft code started late 2012.

I'm not familiar with MPT or how it effects music playback on our radios.

In either case, only the radio module is needed to answer original q?

Good luck.

• 1 month later...