Dodge Journey 12-month Review

cruisinbill

After 12 months driving my Dodge Journey R/T AWD [Oct 2013-Oct 2014], I have been generally pleased with the experience. My summary and comments follow:

Kilometres/miles driven * (about 90% city, 10% highway): 6,796 / 4,217

Average L/100 km: 16.83

Average MPG: 17

Repairs: Disc Player (see below under Misses)

*Six months after purchasing our Journey, my workplace closed, I was laid off and took early retirement. So the low kilometres reflect the cessation of the daily commute to work.

Fuel and maintenance costs were tracked using CarCare, a Windows program.

Hits

Powerful engine with lots of traction especially during the rotten winter we had here last year

Comfortable heated front seats and steering wheel and full cabin heat and air – appreciated by my grandchildren when they travel with us

Interior room and in-floor storage

Remote start [very helpful when I was working and the 2013-14 winter temperatures were in the -50C range (with windchill)

Keyless Enter ‘n Go

Visibility including back up camera (when it is not covered with dirt or ice)

Uconnect 8.4N system. Very customizable.

Customizable EVIC display

Lots of rear cargo room (with 3rd row seats folded); tie downs. Cargo net.

2nd row O/H video screen and controls (when the system works – see Misses below)

Misses

Fuel Economy. This remains my number one complaint with this vehicle. I have mentioned before that Transport Canada’s EnerGuide fuel consumption ratings state that I should be getting 13 litres/100 km [22 mpg] city and 8.4 litres/100 km [34 mpg] highway. I have yet to break the 16 litres/100 km barrier in city driving. During a recent visit to my dealer, they ran a battery of tests and did a road test and I was told that everything was within specification and there was nothing else they could do. I assured them that I drive the posted limits, keep an eye on tire inflation and do not idle/warm up my engine excessively. The dealer was completely useless at remedying the situation.

Transmission. The six-speed transmission seems to have a mind of its own at times. I think it has improved since I first started driving the vehicle but not by much.

Rear Liftgate. I have said this before but I cannot understand why Chrysler does not offer a power option especially on the higher-end Journey models. It would really help my spouse with her arthritis and generally because it is a heavy door. This is particularly challenging in cold weather (< -18C / 0F) when the struts are very stiff and it is almost a gym workout to get the door to lift up.

On the subject of rear lift gate, we appreciate the rear view camera, however, it is mounted too low and is subject to road film during rainy weather and ice buildup in winter. It should be mounted higher on the door as it is on the 2015 models.

Front passenger seat. Forget the “fold-flat front seat with in-seat storage.” We never use the fold-flat feature [if I wanted to haul a kayak, as pictured in the brochure, I’d strap it to the roof rack] and the amount of under-cushion storage offered is really inadequate. Perhaps Chrysler is making up for the poor glove compartment storage, I don’t know. Give me a full power seat (8-way preferred) with lumbar support, heated of course.

Centre seats. Not the easiest to adjust fore/aft. These seats should be heated.

50/50 rear seats (with 7-passenger Flexible Seating Group option). Chrysler claims there is easy access to these seats. Well, we recently had an occasion to transport six (including me) family members and the only ones who could fit in the rear row were my 5-year-old granddaughter and her 16-year old sister; they at least could contort themselves to do this. It’s absolutely claustrophobic. Most of the time, we leave the seats folded flat.

Alpine 6-speaker sound system. It is supposed to provide a premium sound experience because of the “368-watt amplifier,” the number of speakers and a subwoofer. Where is the subwoofer? Frankly, I do not think it is anything special.

Sideview mirrors. Good that they are heated. Bad that there is no power folding option (the owner’s manual says it is an option – my dealer cannot find this). Also, there should be a signal indicator on each of these mirror housings.

Disc Player. I almost got through the initial 12 months without anything malfunctioning on the vehicle. In the last few months, I started to get intermittent “disc error” messages whenever I started the vehicle. Eventually, it ate a CD I was trying to play. Instead of fixing the player, my dealer’s (and I presume, Chrysler’s) solution was to replace the entire system: radio, player, Sirius/XM, Nav, etc. Yep, all that programming gone and a lot of work setting it all up again including having to call Sirius/XM to get the new sat radio registered [ever waited on hold with Sirius/XM? – might as well have lunch or something while you wait].

The above issues aside, we are pleased with our Journey and look forward to when we can actually take some significant trips with it. Right now, it is what we need going to what appears to be another very cold and snowy winter.

Where is your camera located? On my 2014, it is integrated in the black strip that contains the license plate lights. It does seem to collect dirt.

The tailgate is made of plastic. Maybe a change for 2014? Do you have the button to the left of the rear plate that unlocks it?

Powered folding mirrors are just something else to go wrong later on in life. Just push them in and pull them out.

Signal Mirror, made by Muth Co. will make a set of mirrors with the chevrons in them. You can choose between red or amber,

Sub is in left rear panel. There doesn't seem to be enough room back there for a decent sounding sub. Kicker makes an amplified sub that will slide under the front seats.

How are you opening the 2nd row for access to the third row? Use the handle that looks like it should be for reclining the backrest; the top side of the seat. Pulling this handle far enough will release the seat bottom, and allow it to rotate up. Then push the whole seat forward. It took me a while to figure this out! Lots of room to get in and out.

Fuel Economy. This remains my number one complaint with this vehicle. I have mentioned before that Transport Canada’s EnerGuide fuel consumption ratings state that I should be getting 13 litres/100 km [22 mpg] city and 8.4 litres/100 km [34 mpg] highway. I have yet to break the 16 litres/100 km barrier in city driving. During a recent visit to my dealer, they ran a battery of tests and did a road test and I was told that everything was within specification and there was nothing else they could do. I assured them that I drive the posted limits, keep an eye on tire inflation and do not idle/warm up my engine excessively. The dealer was completely useless at remedying the situation.

I drive a lot of stop and go on the freeway in my daily commute, so I would put my highway:city driving at about 40%:60%. In the summer months I average right around 22-23 mpg. In the winter when I am letting her warm up with the remote start I am closer to 18-20 mpg. I can deal with these numbers. Typically I drive a little over the posted limit.

Transmission. The six-speed transmission seems to have a mind of its own at times. I think it has improved since I first started driving the vehicle but not by much.

Lots of complaints about the transmission. I find that driving a little more aggressively helps to mitigate the rough shifting characteristics that people complain about. By "aggressive" I mean that I accelerate a little quicker... I am not driving like a mad man...

Rear Liftgate. I have said this before but I cannot understand why Chrysler does not offer a power option especially on the higher-end Journey models. It would really help my spouse with her arthritis and generally because it is a heavy door. This is particularly challenging in cold weather (< -18C / 0F) when the struts are very stiff and it is almost a gym workout to get the door to lift up.

I would agree with this... I don't have trouble with the weight, but this seems like it should be standard these days. Maybe then my 9 year-old could shut it, ha! (he can't reach it)

On the subject of rear lift gate, we appreciate the rear view camera, however, it is mounted too low and is subject to road film during rainy weather and ice buildup in winter. It should be mounted higher on the door as it is on the 2015 models.

I don't have the camera, but the way that the aerodynamics of the vehicle blow the exhaust up behind the window in the winter I can imagine that it gets dirty.

Front passenger seat. Forget the “fold-flat front seat with in-seat storage.” We never use the fold-flat feature [if I wanted to haul a kayak, as pictured in the brochure, I’d strap it to the roof rack] and the amount of under-cushion storage offered is really inadequate. Perhaps Chrysler is making up for the poor glove compartment storage, I don’t know. Give me a full power seat (8-way preferred) with lumbar support, heated of course.

I've folded mine down to haul lumber and other long items, though not a kayak. Ha! I find it useful personally. I use the seat to store items for long trips and get them out of the way. Not a ton of storage, but that's what I use the back for...

Centre seats. Not the easiest to adjust fore/aft. These seats should be heated.

My 9 year-old can adjust these quite easily. I've never tried, but if he can do it then it can't be that difficult. Maybe grease up the rails a bit? I don't think these should be heated... Screw people in the back, they are lucky I'm giving them a ride somewhere. Ha!

50/50 rear seats (with 7-passenger Flexible Seating Group option). Chrysler claims there is easy access to these seats. Well, we recently had an occasion to transport six (including me) family members and the only ones who could fit in the rear row were my 5-year-old granddaughter and her 16-year old sister; they at least could contort themselves to do this. It’s absolutely claustrophobic. Most of the time, we leave the seats folded flat.

Space is tight (I don't think Chrysler tries to hide that), but getting in there isn't too difficult. dhh3 described the process and it is accurate. Personally, I never use these. In fact, I folded them up the other day to vacuum back there and the foam wrap from shipment was still on the buckles.

Alpine 6-speaker sound system. It is supposed to provide a premium sound experience because of the “368-watt amplifier,” the number of speakers and a subwoofer. Where is the subwoofer? Frankly, I do not think it is anything special.

I don't have this, but the "368 watts" is spread out between all 6 speakers, so it really isn't that impressive. The (very small) sub is in the cargo area behind the panel.

Sideview mirrors. Good that they are heated. Bad that there is no power folding option (the owner’s manual says it is an option – my dealer cannot find this). Also, there should be a signal indicator on each of these mirror housings.

This vehicle is so narrow that I don't know when I would ever need to fold them... I haven't since I bought it. Signals would be a nice option though.

Disc Player. I almost got through the initial 12 months without anything malfunctioning on the vehicle. In the last few months, I started to get intermittent “disc error” messages whenever I started the vehicle. Eventually, it ate a CD I was trying to play. Instead of fixing the player, my dealer’s (and I presume, Chrysler’s) solution was to replace the entire system: radio, player, Sirius/XM, Nav, etc. Yep, all that programming gone and a lot of work setting it all up again including having to call Sirius/XM to get the new sat radio registered [ever waited on hold with Sirius/XM? – might as well have lunch or something while you wait].

Haven't used the disc player yet as I generally pair my phone via bluetooth and listen to Pandora. I have however been on the phone with Sirius and agree with you whole-heartedly on that. Yikes!

EDIT: I have used the disc player to watch a DVD...forgot about that.

Edited by Lobitz68

Interesting review.

I have always considered the third row seating to be occasional use only. Great if you are hauling a few extra kids to the birthday party or whatever, but this is not the right vehicle for a family of six or seven! Or even 5. That's why they make minivans and full size vans.

I don't understand the complaint about the fold down front seat. I think it is a great feature that more manufacturers should offer. I really wish my Wrangler Unlimited had it. Although, given a choice between that feature and an electrically-adjustable passenger seat, I have to admit it would be hard to choose. Maybe it could be both?

Agreed about the middle row needing to be heated. My daughter would love that.

My disk player is also broken. Not too happy about the solution of just replacing it. That sounds like a band-aid fix, whereby they just keep replacing it every time it breaks until the warranty finally runs out, then you are screwed.

Our fuel use is regularly below 10 L / 100 km in the highway - usually low 9's. Typical in-town number is 14 maybe. Obviously it depends on how much stop and go you are doing.