Installed Curt Hitch and T-Harness

cyterio

I installed the Curt hitch and T-Harness on my 2012 SXT. Everything went relatively smooth and took about 3 hours from start to finish.

I hooked up the harness first, with the exception of the power wire that runs to the front of the vehicle. I waited until I had the spare tire and exhaust dropped before I ran it. I also removed the shroud that houses the spare tire, it allows much more room to get at the exhaust hangers.

I removed the hangers with a bit of WD-40 and a large flat-head screw driver. I just let the exhaust rest on the ground while I was installing the hitch. I did this job on my own and offer this bit of advice, use the spare tire shroud to prop up one side of the exhaust while you are removing the hangers on the other side, repeat on the opposite side. This takes a lot of stress off the hangers you're working to remove.

I really don't have much advice to give on mounting the hitch on your own, except, I held one side up with my foot while I put the nuts on the opposite side. I left them really loose until I was able to line up the other nuts.

Hope this was helpful, and thanks to all of you who have posted many helpful topics on this install.

• 1 month later...

There was no need to have anything flashed by the dealer. The harness is powered by a supply wire you run to the battery. It is then connected to a small module that controls the lights via a few harnesses that plug into the existing rear light harnesses. It is essentially piggybacking off the rear lights, the only reason the power wire to the battery is needed is because my Journey has the LED tail lights and cannot power the harness on its own. I do have a few pics I'll try and post.