Rear Center Armrest

tkinok74

Tomorrow will make 2 weeks since my husband and I bought our DJ. It's a 2010 SXT in metallic pearly black. We can't figure out how to release the rear center armrest. I read that there should be a loop to pull, at the top of the armrest toward the passenger side of the vehicle. It doesn't have a loop to pull anywhere. I suspect the loop may have been pulled completely loose at some point in its prior ownership. So my question.... is there an easy workaround or will we have to tear open the armrest to re-secure a loop to the release latch?

Not sure if this will work, but maybe worth a shot. Fold the 40% seat flat. On the side of the armrest, at the bottom, there is a plastic access cover that you should be able to pry off. Remove the fastener and see if that allows enough slack/wiggle movement in the armrest to get behind it or release it. The rear latch release is in the center, a few inches down from the top.

Yes, there is a latch...I remember looking at it when we bought our '13. It is quite robust, too. I guess they don't want it flying open in the event of a collision. I haven't looked at mine close enough to see how to open it if the pull tab gets ripped off, but, there should be some way to access the latch (just like there is for the passenger front seat). If the suggestion from Milous doesn't work, I'll try to get out to mine or look in the service manual to see if there is another pathway to the latch for the service folks.

Not sure if this will work, but maybe worth a shot. Fold the 40% seat flat. On the side of the armrest, at the bottom, there is a plastic access cover that you should be able to pry off. Remove the fastener and see if that allows enough slack/wiggle movement in the armrest to get behind it or release it. The rear latch release is in the center, a few inches down from the top.

Thanks so much! I will give this a try in the morning and report back here with photos of what it looks like, if it works! Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to find photos of what the loop should look like, and mine's definitely missing entirely. I tried to take apart the armrest but couldn't get it to budge. I did, however, manage to figure out how the latch works and was able to tinker with it until it released enough to put the armrest down. YAY!

If anyone knows how to remove the rear armrest or has a diagram, please share. I'd like to remove mine.

1. Position the 40 split seat with back folded flat, to the full forward position.

2. Partially remove the armrest side shield and remove the mounting fastener.

3. With the armrest folded down, remove the two mounting fasteners located on the inside of the armrest bracket.

4. Remove the armrest from the vehicle.

NOTE:

Only perform the following steps if the cover or foam replacement is required.

5. Remove the armrest plastic cover, by carefully prying up until the retainers disengage.

6. If equipped, remove the headrest.

7. Remove the headrest sleeves, if equipped.

8. Carefully pull the seat cover off of the armrest and remove the cover.

9. Remove the foam as required.