Engine Ticking / Lashing Noise - Lifters / Rocker Arm

oneframe

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else with a 2010 Dodge Journey 3.5L engine model is having similar engine lashing / ticking sounds?

I saw a TSB in another forum for similar 3.5L engine used in previous Dodge vehicles and up to 2009 Dodge Journey and this was supposed to have been addressed by then.

However it is still occurring in my engine so it appears either my engine hasn't been addressed with the updated parts or the updated parts do not last as well and causing the same ticking /.lashing noise of the lifters.

Took it to the dealer a second time after it was making the same loud noise and the technician simply said to the service advisor it's the engine TSB.

So he ordered the parts and my car is in to be fixed. Don't know how many days it will be and they have no loaner. Yikes.

Anyone else with similar issue and had a fix with the dealer? I only have a 5-year powertrain warranty being in Canada so time is running out.

I had the same problem with mine. My family and I went on vacation and the engine light came on just as we were driving into a big city so I went directly to a Dodge dealership and a tech was their just as I was pulling in and he heard it and said to me that my lifters were bad. He saw that we were on a road trip and he told the service manager about it and they got me in immediately and I was back on the road in 2 hours. I was shocked at how quickly the took care of me.

Okay, got the car back. Now it's silent again. The main part they replaced is this one:

2pcs of Arm Inlet and Exhaust Valve - 4892293AC - front and rear as well as the gaskets.

Is this the full exhaust set? I input the part number but no photo is coming up so I don't know if there are more that will break soon or this is the full replacement set to take care of the lashing sound.

Yeah, same. I couldn't find actual illustration on the part number. Will ask him the next time I'm in for service. Was wondering if any technical guys who did it themselves know exactly what this assembly or part is. I was wondering if it's an assembly then they needed one? But my paperwork says two (2) for front and rear cylinder heads so it threw me off if they only selected a few parts.

Anyway if anyone has done this themselves. Otherwise will just update when I speak to him again.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else with a 2010 Dodge Journey 3.5L engine model is having similar engine lashing / ticking sounds?

I saw a TSB in another forum for similar 3.5L engine used in previous Dodge vehicles and up to 2009 Dodge Journey and this was supposed to have been addressed by then.

However it is still occurring in my engine so it appears either my engine hasn't been addressed with the updated parts or the updated parts do not last as well and causing the same ticking /.lashing noise of the lifters.

Took it to the dealer a second time after it was making the same loud noise and the technician simply said to the service advisor it's the engine TSB.

So he ordered the parts and my car is in to be fixed. Don't know how many days it will be and they have no loaner. Yikes.

Anyone else with similar issue and had a fix with the dealer? I only have a 5-year powertrain warranty being in Canada so time is running out.

oneframe,

Glad to hear your dealer was able to identify the issue and get it corrected within the warranty parameters!

Are things still running smoothly?

Cheers

DodgeCACares, engine sounds back to normal. That was only yesterday so I will update if no noise in the long term.

Now if only Dodge can correct the transmission jerking issue, this would have been a car I would have been more content with.

• Official Dodge Support

DodgeCACares, engine sounds back to normal. That was only yesterday so I will update if no noise in the long term.

Now if only Dodge can correct the transmission jerking issue, this would have been a car I would have been more content with.

oneframe,

Excellent !!

Thanks for the update, Dodge is continuously researching and finding ways to better the products.

Feedback is certainly the driving force for said improvements.

Have a great weekend.

• 9 months later...

I started hearing a ticking on my 2011 2.4l. It does it at acceleration and decell. Not during normal driving. Am I looking at the same problem? It started right after my alternator went out. I replaced the alternator and after that it started ticking.

The 2.4L World Engine is built with solid (matched at production) lifters

and most that I have run into do have a bit of lifter noise.

In the Caliber they also exhibited what could be injector noise to a certain level.

• 1 year later...
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM, oneframe said:

Hi,

I have the same noise, I noticed when I bought it used 2 years ago.  I always thought that it would bring me great trouble in the future.  Today I am getting P0305 misfires....

Heard these engines have a common problem with 3.5L V6 engine rocker/valve held in with dowel pin that loosens up...causes the ticking sound