Why doesn't my DJ want new oil yet?

YellowDuck

Okay, my understanding is that the oil change indicator is supposed to tell me when an oil change is required.

It first activated at 6500 km or so, and my records say I changed the oil at 6759.

The car now has just over 20,000 km and has not asked for its second oil change. ??!!??!! Almost all highway driving.

What would you do? If I change it now, how do I tell the computer that it has been done already? I know how to reset the oil change indicator when I change the oil, but what do you do if it is not even on?

According to this article

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/07/17855

it is possible that the car will go for as far as 10,000 miles (16,000 km) before requesting an oil change. So, I guess I should not worry about not seeing the oil change indicator until I am at 6759 + 16,000 = 22,759 km?

That's pretty economical...but it is freaking me out a little...

Edited by YellowDuck

• Official Dodge Support

Okay, my understanding is that the oil change indicator is supposed to tell me when an oil change is required.

It first activated at 6500 km or so, and my records say I changed the oil at 6759.

The car now has just over 20,000 km and has not asked for its second oil change. ??!!??!! Almost all highway driving.

What would you do? If I change it now, how do I tell the computer that it has been done already? I know how to reset the oil change indicator when I change the oil, but what do you do if it is not even on?

According to this article

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/07/17855

it is possible that the car will go for as far as 10,000 miles (16,000 km) before requesting an oil change. So, I guess I should not worry about not seeing the oil change indicator until I am at 6759 + 16,000 = 22,759 km?

That's pretty economical...but it is freaking me out a little...

YellowDuck,

Nothing to worry about here, the oil change indicator system will calculate a whole variety of measures to determine when your DJ needs to have the oil changed.

You are correct, under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 16,000 kms or twelve months, whichever comes first.

If the vehicle isn't driven hard and mostly on the highway, it is possible to achieve more kilometers out of a single change.

Congrats on your purchase by the way!!!

If I change it now, how do I tell the computer that it has been done already?

I am sure it would be the same on the Journey, but on my 300, I would just do the gas pedal reset that is explained in the manual, and that will start the 'clock' over again.