I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey SE in December of 2011. It's a very base module, pretty much has none of the spiffy features, not even the door locking buttons on the key.

So basically, this thing has been in the shop seven or eight times over the last two years. Some of it was just standard stuff, some of it was really stupid (like a third party starter (That was already in there when I bought it) playing havoc with the ignition switch causing the car to decide I had stolen it and shut down WHILE I WAS DRIVING IT.)( never did get my second key back from that thing either) And some of it was my fault.

Where I am now, however, is very strange. The car will start, I can drive it around for a while, then park and turn it off. If I try to start it again, however, it won't start. The lights inside all come on, not dim at all, and the car gives off a loud clicking noise. The strangest part is that if I let the car sit for at least three hours (I'm working on timing it) and I come back the car will start just fine. Then I drive it again, park it again, then if I try to start it again it won't start. It did it once or twice over the last two years so I wasn't too worried, I figured it was just the cold or something. But it has done it four times in the last two weeks, and I can replicate the issue now as well. My biggest problem is that I need to put gas in the tank, but I don't want to stop at a gas station, fill up, then be unable to start the damned thing. When I turn it on and it doesn't start, the little engine light comes on and stays on, and the little red lightning bolt light comes on, stays on for longer than when the engine actually does start, then eventually turns off.

I don't have the money to get it fixed or even damned well towed anywhere, and I need the car to even find a job so I can afford to take it in somewhere. I hope that someone can give me an idea as to what the heck is wrong with the thing and maybe a way around it or a temporary fix until I can get it in to somewhere. I am not a car person, I am not mechanically inclined at all.

Starter system again... You are getting power to the solenoid (that's what is making the clicking sound), but, no high amperage to the starter motor itself (needs that to spin the starter motor). If that is the starter relay clicking, then the starter interlocks (key recognition and shifter) apparently aren't the culprit. Temperature related; could be a broken wire. Heat the insulation (like from a hot engine; the starter motor wiring virtually lays on the engine) and it expands and may break a circuit, once it cools down (contracts) the wires touch again allowing it to start. Could be corrosion on any of the connections (same temperature effects). Could be the starter itself... Could be the starter relay trying to make the high amp connection and failing. You say you're not a car person nor mechanically inclined, so, much in the way of trouble shooting is moot. You could start at the starter motor and work up to the battery; check all connections to make sure they are tight (it is possible that when they worked on the starter before they didn't tighten everything) and look at the electrical connections to make sure they aren't corroded, if they are, and you have a wrench that fits, take off the nuts and clean off the corrosion. If there isn't any corrosion and the wires seem to be OK, then the next time it happens, try tapping (not pounding, but, a good solid tap) on the solenoid (mounted to the starter motor) and try it again; sometimes tapping will free a stuck pinion. Other than those "non-mechanical" checks, a shop is your best recourse. Sorry, any other suggestions I would have would involve a bit more mechanical experience, a good set of tools, and at least a VOM test meter. It isn't a major motor issue, but, just being limited to the starter system isn't a help since you have to have that working to get it to run...as you well know.