Added wheels

garywc1010

Yes. Had them done at same time I got the wheels.

Choices were either red or black. Went with the red. I think it adds a little something.

I'm thinking on paining or getting caliper covers. What bothers me with paining is to have the car stuck for 24 hours, while I need it daily, with the total price (paint + labor) comparable to covers.

I paid $60 to have all 4 painted. They were done high temp. Had wheels installed and calipers painted, in and out of shop in 1 hour.

I was worried at first about driving with them being freshly painted, he assured me with the high temp process they used it would not be a problem.

It appears he was right. I drove my wife around town shopping for the rest of the day (after dropping cash on wheels I had to let her shop too) and no signs of a problem with the paint.

That was on Saturday. I've gone about 150 to 200 miles since without issue

I paid $60 to have all 4 painted. They were done high temp. Had wheels installed and calipers painted, in and out of shop in 1 hour.

I was worried at first about driving with them being freshly painted, he assured me with the high temp process they used it would not be a problem.

It appears he was right. I drove my wife around town shopping for the rest of the day (after dropping cash on wheels I had to let her shop too) and no signs of a problem with the paint.

That was on Saturday. I've gone about 150 to 200 miles since without issue

Tell me more. What is this "high temp" process? Is it something that body shops or wheel shops do? Do you know the name of the process so I can google it?

Sorry, I don't.

Never had it done before, he assured me it would work and so I said go for it. Luckily he was right.

I had it done at one of the bigger tire and wheel shops here in Houston. I know nothing about the process.

I've got to go by there at some point this week so I'll be happy to ask him

Paint them yourself. I've painted many calipers and can have it done in under 2-3 hours. Not down for a whole day.....remove calipers, tape off/mask what you dont want to get paint on, clean, prime, paint. For examplel I just painted the calipers on my Eclipse last Saturday. Painted them body color.

IMG_2048_zps9d027239.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsdf6d9371.jpg

Edited by jkeaton

Paint them yourself. I've painted many calipers and can have it done in under 2-3 hours. Not down for a whole day.....remove calipers, tape off/mask what you dont want to get paint on, clean, prime, paint. For examplel I just painted the calipers on my Eclipse last Saturday. Painted them body color.

IMG_2048_zps9d027239.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsdf6d9371.jpg

I think his concern lies more in the fact that the instructions typically tell you not to drive the vehicle for 24 hours... Not that the actual painting takes a long time.

My initial goal was to go with 20's.

Once at the shop I was offered these 22's for the same price as the 20's I was going to get. I was concerned about fitment and possibly some rubbing but I haven't had any issues yet.

Looks great! What caliper covers did you get (brand name)?

IMG_2048_zps9d027239.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsdf6d9371.jpg

The floor looks like a crime scene LOL!

IMG_2048_zps9d027239.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsdf6d9371.jpg

You are looking at rather time consuming and expensive process to have it done right: jacks + 4 hours (of mine) cost more than $60. I'd rather pay $60 and have it done professionally, that's why was wondering about the process to ask the right question to the body shop or whoever can do them.

I think his concern lies more in the fact that the instructions typically tell you not to drive the vehicle for 24 hours... Not that the actual painting takes a long time.

Why? Paint dont take 24 hours to dry, mine were dry in about an hour. I mean, use good judgement and all, dont go driving in a downpour right after painting. Those instructions are guidelines only, and mainly for the people who would drive in rain right after painting and blame the paint supplier cause it ruined the calipers.

Edited by jkeaton

Why? Paint dont take 24 hours to dry, mine were dry in about an hour. I mean, use good judgement and all, dont go driving in a downpour right after painting. Those instructions are guidelines only, and mainly for the people who would drive in rain right after painting and blame the paint supplier cause it ruined the calipers.

Don't know, I didn't write the directions... I do know that the G2 brush on system is an epoxy rather than an actual paint (that's why a "reactor" is included). That particular addition might add to the time (though you only have 4-6 hours to use the paint after mixing it with the reactor, so...). I'm certainly not saying you are wrong, just pointing out that most kits tell you to wait 24 hours before driving....

I have also heard that too much heat before the product is fully cured could cause poor adhesion and make chipping easier, though I haven't seen it in actual published literature. I'm contemplating doing mine, but it seems like a lot of work if I can get someone else to do it for $60... I value my time enough to pay that.

You do one at a time. Dont need to have the car on blocks with all 4 wheels removed. But anyhoo. Your call. Just providing an option. I painted the calipers on my sons Tiburon 3 years ago when he first went off to college. Still look good to this day. Sure, they get dirty, but just take a brush and soapy water, good as new. No flaking or peeling. I used caliper paint you can buy at any auto parts store. I guess this is more of a project for do-it-yourselfers like myself. You want to pay someone to do it for you, go ahead. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't. Total investment was just under $17 for the paint and probably 3 hours of my time. :)

Edited by jkeaton

You do one at a time. Dont need to have the car on blocks with all 4 wheels removed. But anyhoo. Your call. Just providing an option. I painted the calipers on my sons Tiburon 3 years ago when he first went off to college. Still look good to this day. Sure, they get dirty, but just take a brush and soapy water, good as new. No flaking or peeling. I used caliper paint you can buy at any auto parts store. I guess this is more of a project for do-it-yourselfers like myself. You want to pay someone to do it for you, go ahead. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't. Total investment was just under $17 for the paint and probably 3 hours of my time. :)

Did you use the spray-on or brush-on type? This would be a good project to do while I've got a pork butt on the smoker... I'm stuck at the house those days anyway.

Did you use the spray-on or brush-on type? This would be a good project to do while I've got a pork butt on the smoker... I'm stuck at the house those days anyway.

I used spray on primer and spray on caliper paint.

Edited by jkeaton

I just wanna make clear... :-). When you paint your caliper you dont take off caliper from rotor. Just the wheel. And taped it ang paint it.. Am i right??

You can do either way. Taking them off is a hard core for me :)

You definitely need to take them off if you powder coat them.

Edited by Totemus