Voice Recognition Issues

So everything was working just fine with my Infotainment system. I left it in the garage for several weeks and drove another car during the heavier snows. I took it out for a short trip out of town and found that I'm having a problem with the VR. It's working it will recognize some things. But when I'm listening to Sirius it only recognizes number and not the station names as it did before. For instance if I request "80's on 8" it will go to channel 88. If I request "Watercolors" it will respond with "unrecognized command. "Channel 64" will get me channel 64. I'm sure this must have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search. Any ideas or fixes? Thanks!

Edited by trevcda

There is a software update for these symptoms, or similar symptoms. Had it applied to my 2011. Its fine now. Although, I find that my VR only works for the radio. Not the iPod. I wish it would work for the iPod. Phone commands are fine. No Nav commands work on the 2011.

Peace.

Where did you get the software update?

So everything was working just fine with my Infotainment system. I left it in the garage for several weeks and drove another car during the heavier snows. I took it out for a short trip out of town and found that I'm having a problem with the VR. It's working it will recognize some things. But when I'm listening to Sirius it only recognizes number and not the station names as it did before. For instance if I request "80's on 8" it will go to channel 88. If I request "Watercolors" it will respond with "unrecognized command. "Channel 64" will get me channel 64. I'm sure this must have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search. Any ideas or fixes? Thanks!

Perhaps it's your accent? LOL

Try using a Southern drawl or Cockney accent

There is a software update for these symptoms, or similar symptoms. Had it applied to my 2011. Its fine now. Although, I find that my VR only works for the radio. Not the iPod. I wish it would work for the iPod. Phone commands are fine. No Nav commands work on the 2011.

Peace.

On my 2012, the VR works for the IPOD, just not very well. When I would request a song, it would highlight the song, say now playing "requested song title" and immediately skip to the next song. I took it in and they did a software update and it worked fine, bu then my nav problem arose. They replaced the unit, nav unit worked fine, but the problem with the requested song re-appeared. I asked the service department to do the same software update, and engineering insisted on replacing the whole unit, as they said an update was not available. Since then I have had nothing but problems with both the nav and the VR for the Ipod. They replaced the unit again today. It was interesting to note that the model number has changed twice now for the units with nav. The nav is now working properly (no lag, plenty of warning before turn), but have to admit haven't tried the Ipod as yet. I'm hoping, since the model number has changed, that everything will function properlly.

Not sure. My symptoms were the same, but not sure if your problem is the same. I don't have the TSB info right in front of me. I can post it if you need it. I hope it will help with your problem.

Peace.

Took it to the dealer today. They ran the VIN and couldn't find anything. Big waste of an hour. They suggested I bring it back and leave it with them. Could you post that TSB for me? Maybe if I have it in hand, they'll "find" it magically.

Here is the one that worked for me. I see now that you have a 2010. Not sure if this will apply to your vehicle. Symptoms seem the same though. Best of Luck.

NUMBER: 08-023-11 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: August 12, 2011

SUBJECT:

FLASH: Hands Free Module Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This Bulletin involves performing a USB service flash of the Hands Free Module (HFM).

MODELS:

2011 (JC) Journey

2011 (LD) Charger

2011 (LX) 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC, LD, and LX vehicles built from December 20, 2010

(MDH 1220XX) to **June 10, 2011 (MDH 0610XX)** equipped with UCONNECT

VOICE COMMAND W/BLUETOOTH (sales code RSP, RSQ for international).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience the following:

· **No start, or drained battery due to HFM keeping bus awake.**

· **Using Station names to switch channels will take user to the wrong channel.**

· **Station names added to the Sirius line up after the May 4th are not be

recognized.**

· **HFM does not work and the phone screens cannot be entered into at all**

· If the Emergency and Towing assistance number are modified by the customer after

several ignition cycles they revert back to default number.

· Voice Recognition for Phone book names may not work.

· Voice Recognition may not work at all. Voice Recognition may recover after several

ignition cycles or in some cases Voice Recognition may never recover.

· Phone book download to vehicle system is incomplete. Phone book download may

recover after several ignition cycles

· Once a call is transferred to handset it cannot be transferred back to vehicle Hands

free system. This issue is intermittent.

· Voice Recognition Satellite commands may not work. Voice Recognition Satellite

commands may recover after several ignition cycles or in some cases may never

recover.

· User can not select Brief or Detailed **voice response** mode in settings

· In NAV mode “Call” soft key is not available for Points Of Interest with phone

numbers.

· Hands Free Calls with Audio Muted. Incoming or Outgoing calls are intermittently

muted or muted when making a call via a favorite immediately after ending a call.

· Screen switches to Main Phone screen every time phone connects

· System may call Emergency without waiting for user to say “Yes” when detailed

prompt modes are active.

· Cannot get into phone mode via Phone soft key after editing emergency number.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd follow this up. For some reason it's back. I can say the name of the channel and it listens for a little while longer and jumps to the requested station like it used to. Two possible things that changed that may have had something to do with it. Other than the VR name issue (still recognized numbers) Sirius worked fine. One day, not too long ago, it locked up and wasn't producing audio although it would manually change to various stations. Turned off the car for several minutes and got Sirius reception back, although I didn't think to try the VR. Today, it is having trouble starting from what appears to be a failing battery. Bad battery, 100+ heat, air conditioning on high constantly, etc I'm sure is resulting in some low voltage conditions until it starts. I'll replace the battery on Friday after I put the tester on OBS link. But as far as the situation with the VR goes, does that ring any bells with anybody? Did I accidentally reset something? Should I install a battery interupt switch in the engine bay so I can reset as needed? Mostly kidding about that last part. Just wanted to see if this info helped anybody else.