Educate me on Tires Please..... Dodge Journey 2014

cskmom

The dodge journey CVP (Canadian value package) comes with

kumho 225-65-17 tires

I have seen pictures in the gallery of replacement tires, and like some of what I have seen. My question to the forum......taking budget into consideration, which brand and size would you recommend as a GOOD replacement for the stock wheels after a while in terms of wider tires with NO NOISE?

Am I right in thinking I can change the stock to: 235-65R-17 or 235 - 60- 17? (remember budget here)

I like the look of the fuller/wider tires as opposed to the narrower stock type. I won't bother with rims for now, will wait until I find deals on them, which will make Winter swapping easier

Thanks

Educate me on Tires Please..... Dodge Journey 2014

OK. First, lets start by explaining what the numbers mean.

The first number is the tread width as measured in millimeters. So a 225 tire has a tread width of 225 millimeters. If you want a wider tire, go with a larger number like 235 or 245. Each size up adds 10mm to the width.

The second number is the aspect ratio. What that means is it is the height of the tire in relation to the width. An aspect ratio of 65, means the height is 65% of the width. If you increase the width, but leave the aspect ratio the same, you will get a taller tire. If you decrease the width, but leave the aspect ratio the same, you get a shorter tire.

A short or tall tire can affect things like the odometer & speedometer because changing the height also changes the circumference. In order to keep the height (and the circumference) the same, the ratio has to adjust in relation to the width. So a wider tire, with a lower aspect ratio is acceptable as the two cancel each other out and don't change the height. It is difficult to get an exact match, so a variance of 1-2% is usually acceptable.

Lastly, the third number refers to the rim size. In your case, a 17" rim.

Here are some examples.

Stock size = 225-65-17

Alternate size - 235-65-17 = 1.8% larger circumference

Alternate size - 235-60-17 = 1.4% smaller circumference.

So neither of these are perfect, but are within the 2% margin.

For a closer match, a 245-60-17 tire is only 0.2% larger. So it won't throw off your speedo/odo much at all. But that size is much less common, which also means less choice and more expensive. Your best bet is the 235-65-17 as it will be the cheapest option and will have the most choices.

As for a tire reccomendation, I have read good things about the Yokohama YK580. It is a very good balance between budget and longevity with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. It is also rated as a low rolling resistance tire, so should give you slightly better fuel economy too. Those are the tires I plan to put on this summer.

OK. First, lets start by explaining what the numbers mean.

The first number is the tread width as measured in millimeters. So a 225 tire has a tread width of 225 millimeters. If you want a wider tire, go with a larger number like 235 or 245. Each size up adds 10mm to the width.

The second number is the aspect ratio. What that means is it is the height of the tire in relation to the width. An aspect ratio of 65, means the height is 65% of the width. If you increase the width, but leave the aspect ratio the same, you will get a taller tire. If you decrease the width, but leave the aspect ratio the same, you get a shorter tire.

A short or tall tire can affect things like the odometer & speedometer because changing the height also changes the circumference. In order to keep the height (and the circumference) the same, the ratio has to adjust in relation to the width. So a wider tire, with a lower aspect ratio is acceptable as the two cancel each other out and don't change the height. It is difficult to get an exact match, so a variance of 1-2% is usually acceptable.

Lastly, the third number refers to the rim size. In your case, a 17" rim.

Here are some examples.

Stock size = 225-65-17

Alternate size - 235-65-17 = 1.8% larger circumference

Alternate size - 235-60-17 = 1.4% smaller circumference.

So neither of these are perfect, but are within the 2% margin.

For a closer match, a 245-60-17 tire is only 0.2% larger. So it won't throw off your speedo/odo much at all. But that size is much less common, which also means less choice and more expensive. Your best bet is the 235-65-17 as it will be the cheapest option and will have the most choices.

As for a tire reccomendation, I have read good things about the Yokohama YK580. It is a very good balance between budget and longevity with a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. It is also rated as a low rolling resistance tire, so should give you slightly better fuel economy too. Those are the tires I plan to put on this summer.

FROGBOX....I'll like to thank you for taking the time out to answer my question and providing recommendations.

Cheers