DJ 20014 Trunk Bike Rack

cskmom

Evening all...I don't have a roof rack, so looking at getting a bike rack being that spring/summer is round the corner, anybody know which of the racks in the link below or any other you might know of, will be great for the DJ? Looking to carry 3 bikes and on a budget

http://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-2012_Dodge_Journey.htm

http://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-finder.aspx

Thanks

Edited by cskmom

This what I have:

Hitch Mount 2-Bike Carrier

• SKU: 8375438
  • Weight: 19.46 lbs

and it lowering as well.

Plus added this part:

Hitch Mount 2-Bike Carrier Extension
  • SKU: 8375479
  • Weight: 4.64 lbs

Now I can take 4 bikes with me.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my from Princess Auto. Payd for two bike carrier $69.00 and for extender (two more bikes) is $ 18.00.

Now I can carry 4 bikes.

Thanks for this recommendation! I popped into Princess Auto today and snagged one, it's actually on sale now for 40 odd dollars and the sale ends on Sunday I believe. Whilst there I also bought some bits and bobs

Cheers

Thanks for this recommendation! I popped into Princess Auto today and snagged one, it's actually on sale now for 40 odd dollars and the sale ends on Sunday I believe. Whilst there I also bought some bits and bobs

Cheers

I love it when you use British terminology... Bits and bobs! Ha! The company I work for has a plant in Ireland and I love when I get to go there or they come here. The accent and different terminology is a hoot at the bar! Back on topic, care to post a pic?

I love it when you use British terminology... Bits and bobs! Ha! The company I work for has a plant in Ireland and I love when I get to go there or they come here. The accent and different terminology is a hoot at the bar! Back on topic, care to post a pic?

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Tubes-And-Hitch-Carriers/Hitch-Mount-2-Bike-Carrier/8375438.p

• 4 weeks later...

This what I have:

Hitch Mount 2-Bike Carrier

• SKU: 8375438
  • Weight: 19.46 lbs

and it lowering as well.

Plus added this part:

Hitch Mount 2-Bike Carrier Extension
  • SKU: 8375479
  • Weight: 4.64 lbs

Now I can take 4 bikes with me.

I'll like to thank you again for suggesting this.....I found something out later on, if you buy the extension and it's not the Grey one like the actual rack, it won't fit...strange how they didn't just make it generic

Here is a pic from today, I like how I can lower the rack to reach the boot (trunk)

IMG_20140421_1620221_zps5646d3a2.jpg

I'll like to thank you again for suggesting this.....I found something out later on, if you buy the extension and it's not the Grey one like the actual rack, it won't fit...strange how they didn't just make it generic

Here is a pic from today, I like how I can lower the rack to reach the boot (trunk)

IMG_20140421_1620221_zps5646d3a2.jpg

If I needed a bike rack thats exactly how I would do it. Easy to load the bikes and easy to get into the back after lowering the rack.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a bike mount that secures to the glass via straps exactly like in post 4 and it is fairly stable. That being said if/when we get a hitch I will be adding a bike rack to it. Installation takes longer when you have a ton of straps!

Camper.....I have a question for you. In the picture of my Curt hitch and the attached rack...when I connect the bike rack to the car hitch, it does not fit snug at the point when the two couple....any idea of what can be done to make this air tight, so it stop wiggling?

thanks

I also have a curt hitch and I have an allen sports bike rack and it came with an anti-wobble hitch bolt that works very well. I looked on their website and they sell the bolt separately (use the 1/2" bolt for the 2" hitch). I'm not sure if they ship to Canada but at least this will give you an idea as to what you need. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.allensportsusa.com/products/No%20Wobble%20Bolt2

I also have a curt hitch and I have an allen sports bike rack and it came with an anti-wobble hitch bolt that works very well. I looked on their website and they sell the bolt separately (use the 1/2" bolt for the 2" hitch). I'm not sure if they ship to Canada but at least this will give you an idea as to what you need. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.allensportsusa.com/products/No%20Wobble%20Bolt2

Thanks for that......however, the wobblying for me is happening where the bicycle hitch meets the Curt joint i.e. if you look at my picture, the part where the PIN holds the 2 hitches in place. If it was snug, there will be no wobbly movement

If I understand correctly, the movement is happening where the bike rack goes inside the curt hitch? If that is the case, this should work. If you look at the bolt it has a "shoulder" about 3/4" below the head. The "shoulder" on the bolt is smaller than the hole in your curt hitch but larger than the hole through the bike rack. The way it works is you insert the bike rack in the hitch and use this bolt in place of the hitch pin. As you tighten the nut , the "shoulder" on the bolt pulls the bike rack tight against the side of the curt hitch to eliminate the movement. The only drawback is you have to use tools anytime you install/remove the bike rack.

I picked up a good used Saris model 1047P Guardian in a used-goods store for $10.00. It is probably not the model or design that Saris would have matched with the Journey, but it works fine.

I don't have a hitch on our Journey, but if I did, I would adapt this rack to one that would swing around to the right side of the vehicle. There would be an arm extending from the hitch a bit over half way to the right side, with a hinge at that end, and a pin someplace along the middle to hold it in place while driving. (Maybe the arm would have to go over farther than I think, or have other pivot points - I've never tried to mock this up.) My objective would be to be able to swing the bike(s) over to the side so that I could have direct access to the trunk when the hatch lid is up. It seems to me that the type that has you lay the bike down still really restricts access to the trunk area. (I have never had one, or even seen anyone lay one down, so it's just my impression.)

Edited by Neto

• 1 month later...

I picked up a good used Saris model 1047P Guardian in a used-goods store for $10.00. It is probably not the model or design that Saris would have matched with the Journey, but it works fine.

I don't have a hitch on our Journey, but if I did, I would adapt this rack to one that would swing around to the right side of the vehicle. There would be an arm extending from the hitch a bit over half way to the right side, with a hinge at that end, and a pin someplace along the middle to hold it in place while driving. (Maybe the arm would have to go over farther than I think, or have other pivot points - I've never tried to mock this up.) My objective would be to be able to swing the bike(s) over to the side so that I could have direct access to the trunk when the hatch lid is up. It seems to me that the type that has you lay the bike down still really restricts access to the trunk area. (I have never had one, or even seen anyone lay one down, so it's just my impression.)

That is not the case in my situation.....I am able to access the trunk with no problem at all

Thanks for that......however, the wobblying for me is happening where the bicycle hitch meets the Curt joint i.e. if you look at my picture, the part where the PIN holds the 2 hitches in place. If it was snug, there will be no wobbly movement

I think I know what you are referring to. I bought a cheaper rack at Menards that had the "wobble." I took it apart at the pivot point and slid some appropriately sized fender washers in there and tighten the bolts. The wobble is nearly gone. I also replaced the pin with a nut/bolt because I rarely open the hatch with a bike on.

Edited by davea180

• 2 months later...

I think I know what you are referring to. I bought a cheaper rack at Menards that had the "wobble." I took it apart at the pivot point and slid some appropriately sized fender washers in there and tighten the bolts. The wobble is nearly gone. I also replaced the pin with a nut/bolt because I rarely open the hatch with a bike on.

That will be one course of action, but I access the trunk a lot. Thanks for the washer ideas though

• 2 months later...