Location of oil filter on 2009 2.0 diesel Dodge Journey

Kiteboarder666

Please help......have purchased oil filter and oil to change in my 2009 Dodge Journey 2.0 diesel but simply cannot locate the oil filter, have search engine and under pan area but cannot locate likely place....all forums indicate easy to change on 2012 models but 2009 is obviously different and struggling to find it...don't want to have costly visit to Dodge garage.....any ideas would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

This has been asked before with no answer. No diesels here in the US. Hopefully someone from across the pond will chime in. Do you not have a owners manual? Can you call your locsall dealer and ask?

I did find a pic of the oil filter housing here >> http://www.mopar.com/part/68103969AA?s=353095&i=2234199&b=dodge

Might just have to pull the plastic engine cover off and start looking. It is an internal filter accessible by a cap somewhere.

Jkeaton is right, from looking at the picture of the actual oil filter GFE493.jpgit should be enclosed in a metal or plastic housing that has a bolt on the top just like the pic that Jkeaton provided. Pop off the the engine cover and look for it. On the 3.6 pentastar engines they provided access to the oil filter from the engine cover but in your case removal of the cover may be needed to gain access. Sorry if this is not much help as I could not find any better info on the net regarding the 2.0 diesel engine.

Good Luck!

I have the shop manual (CD) for the 2013 Journey. I can change the engine option and when I go to the 2.0L I4 diesel I get the attached image for where the oil filter is located. I don't imagine that the engine has changed that much and it may help you some. Apparently there is a belly pan that must be removed to access the canister that the oil filter fits in. Hope the attached helps; best I could do...

post-6567-0-41574600-1392746416_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

The Diesel is a good car, low to the road can take being thrown about winding roads, i can loose most cars that way , braking to loose someone can be a bit bad if your brakes arent properly pumped, if your brakes are binding the disks its time to get them bleeded as the vacuum helps pulling the piston back in the housing saves sticking brakes, i get ok mileage i drive 450 miles per week for work, and i can do it in 4.30 hours door to door iv got a 2.0 TDI VW engine so parts are cheaper in some cases, but the running gear is american and not cheap to buy, i can do 450 miles on one tank of fuel 

well today im going to change the oil, and drop the sump, to totaly clean it out, just incase there is something missing from the first ever oil change i had done by a friend, said gunk came out the last time, mmm doesnt sound good lol, being running it on slick 50/50 these last few month had to add some brake fluid the other week just to stop the thick grity oil pinking the engine, my last car never had an oil change as i couldnt get the sump bolt out, i had it 8 yrs and 350,000 on the clock i added everything mostly finer oils to weaken the thicker oil in the engine, an engine will run on any oil as long as you have good oil in to start with, i used castrol, when an engine comes sluggish its time to add something cause it will seize up you get a feel for these thing, the dodge on the other hand, throws up the engine managment light 

a good thing with the diesel is if you run out of fuel you can go to a shop and add veg oil to the fuel tank so gets you to petrol station .. .