Changing front brakes - 2009 SXT

seanton

Hi,

I'd like to change the front brakes (pad and rotor) on my 2009 SXT. I did the rear brakes a few months ago and didn't have any trouble. I'm just wondering if there's anything special I need to do on the front because of the ABS. I remember I needed a special tool to work on my Intrepid, do I need something similar for the Journey? Or is it the same process as changing the rear brakes?

Thanks,

Sean

^^ Yep, front pistons just push in, unlike the backs which need to be turned and pushed at the same time. Unbolt the calipers, remove the rotor, compress the piston, (remove the brake reservoir cap and check the level while compressing the piston as it could overflow), re-install. Dont forget to lube the caliper slides.

I should also point out that there will probably be a certain degree of corrosion on the brackets that hold the pads due to the winter salt used in our colder climates. You should remove the stainless steel shims, clean the brackets with a file, then apply some antiseize to the area before reinstalling the shims. Also, lube the shims so the pads can slide easily. Proper lubrication of the moving parts will help to prevent the pads from sticking, causing premature break wear and reduced fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...