2013 Journey CVP 4 speed transmission "clunking"

tmx218

So I traded in my perfectly working 2009 Journey SXT for a 2013 Journey SE/CVP last month. It was a second hand unit with 19,528kms on it when I bought it. In the last month of owning it, I have noticed unusual shifting with the 4 speed automatic transmission coupled to the 2.4L engine. While driving between 50-60km/hr, I've noticed that the transmission would feel like it pops out of gear when you let off the accelerator, then feels like it pops back into gear, followed by a clicking sound. I've read that some people believe that this is "normal" operation for transmissions, even had the dealer check it over too, and the clicking noise with the popping in and out of gear still there after the dealer did a "quick learn" of the transmission.

Even with the car stopped, accelerating up to about 10-15 km/hr, the same feeling of it popping in and out of gear (as if it went into neutral) is still experienced, and even between 80-95 km/hr I've been noticing in the last week since the quick learn was performed on the car. I even went as far as to move the transmission into drive from reverse, noticing it was rough and making that same clicking sound, and even shutting off the car while holding the brake after doing some switching from reverse to drive, shut the car off, and let it roll naturally and still can hear that clicking with the car off.

After reading the forum, this is leading me to believe that my torque converted clutch is failing or my bolts on the transmission somewhere are loose. Any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer again??

A clicking sound is definitely not normal. I would take it to the dealer and have it checked asap.

I also had a re-flash on my Journey and it shifted awful through the relearn period. After a few hundred miles it started improving and now it shifts great. But the clicking sound is something that would concern me and just to be safe I would get to the dealer.

I will say that a re flash can do wonders these days. But it will "never" take care of mechanical malfunction. It might be a good idea to try a couple different dealers if you don't get results from your current dealer.

If you haven't already, I would take some time as well to check for anything obvious (rodents, debris, etc.) under the hood and under the car in the area you are hearing the noise. Good Luck

I have a 2013 4cyl. 4 speed . Some a##hole in a parking lot hit while i was parked and without engine running. A click noise started immediately, although no slipping. Dealer said it was "normal". This is pure bull. Problem was a tranny mount that had to be adjusted. Dont fall for that excuse they are giving you. Ask the guy at the dealer if it was his vehicle, what it still be considered" normal".

Hope this helps.

Merry Xmas

Edited by jkeaton
Removed profanity.

Hawaii, did your clicking sound occur at the same way mine is? With it occurring usually when you take your foot off the accelerator or when you put it back on the accelerator?

Absolutely, more pronounced at low speeds. Tap acceleratotor or let off and it would happen every time. But again, no slipping or other problems.

I have a 2013 Model and the Dealer said it was normal, I had over 50 cars in my lifetime and all used and Now that I Own a New one it has Normal Clonking, slipping and high acceleration shifting problems after 1 and 1/2 Months, but it's all Normal according to the Dealer

What engine and transmission are in your journey?

• Official Dodge Support

What's funny is that I told them about the clicking sound and they came back saying that the quick learn was the only thing needed...

tmx218,

I would suggest comparing it to another DJ on the lot to see if this condition is present in other ones.

This would give the dealer an idea of what is happening and if it is characteristic to the transmission. I'm assuming the flash was just a first step towards identifying or determining the issue.

• Official Dodge Support

After having this issue with this Journey, it made me wish I would have got the SXT one with the 3.6L and 6 speed transmission. At least those I haven't had issues with my experiences so far

tmx218,

The 3.6L and 6 speed transmission is a great combination but that shouldn't take away from your vehicle configuration. Keep us updated with the dealer findings if you can.

From what I was told, the "quick learn" flash relearns the drivers driving habits and shifts appropriately to their habits. Unfortunately mine is either an internal fault or needs new mounts, retighten them...

Did you read the other thread about this problem??

Thanks Dodgecares and Hawaii. I will keep posted on my diagnosis.

I have read some of the previous posts on similar issues and they didn't quite sit the same as my issue. Hoping that I will find out on December 27th when my car goes back to the dealer for round 2. I did look at the same setup on the Dodge Avenger (same 2.4L/4 speed) while it was on the hoist. Looks like fun for the engine/transmission mounts if that was the issue..

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on the issue...

Took car back to dealer for round 2. Showed the service manager the issues and he agreed there was an issue present. Wrote up the invoice stating "Check transmission for driving at approx 50 km/hr and let off the gas. It feels like it goes into neutral and when pressing on the gas again, it clunks and feels like it goes back into gear. Customer also reports harsh engagement. See service manager for more detail - to be roadtested at time of drop off. Almost feels as if mounts possibly loose. No DTC's present"

Their correction was "Roadtested with service manager verified symptom in which client concerned. did not find abnormal based on powertrain matchup. Raised up vehicle on the hoist to inspect undercarriage and driveline. No signs of abnormalities. Tested motor and transmission mounts for any excessive movements or visual evidence to suppore an issue - noe found. checked axle nut and trans mount bolt torque - found ok, Login into Chrysler tech assistance, uploaded vehicle identification number in search for any technical service bulletins and or star on line cases pertaining to this type of a concern. No related files or fixes. Checked and verified fluid level and condition. This noise and feeling is result of driveline "wind up" and based upon model (powertrain) application is characteristic to operation. No repair available. Client to monitor. Documented Condition."

I have not been able to replicate the concern as II have not been able to be stuck in similar traffic concerns as I noticed it the most, however I am hoping that the retorque of the bolts did help. I will keep this thread updated with the progress.

Any idea why the driveline "windup" would cause this issue with the 2.4L/4 speed auto Journey and not in the same 2.4L/4 speed auto in the Avenger/200's??? I've never had an issue with those ones and I have a fleet of over 300 with that same drivetrain in it...