Dealer tried to sell me unnecessary service

Jay Sixspeedrt

Took my 2012 Journey to the dealer for a routine oil change (I bought a package of oil changes from them) today with 41k miles. Nothing wrong with the vehicle - has brand new tires and brakes, as well as a relatively new K & N airfilter.

Dealer service guy comes into the waiting room after a bit with some suggestions for me to get serviced - transmission fluid and filter replacement, rear differential service, and fuel injector cleaning. I said - "Really, the transmission and differential? How often are they supposed to be changed?" He told me every 36,000 miles or so. The differential service, which I would assume is a simple fluid change, was $110 by itself!!! I didn't even ask what the other items cost - I'm guessing probably $400-500 by the time all is said and done. I said, "Well we'll just stick with the oil change today". 36k for servicing those items didn't sound right to me from what I remembered from the manual's maintenance schedule.

Well, I just checked the manual - at 64,000 miles, the manual recommends rear differential fluid change, as well as power transfer unit fluid at that time. Transmission fluid change is recommended ONLY at 64,000 miles if the car is used in fleet or police service, OR frequent towing, which my vehicle isn't used for.

And there's no mention in any of the service intervals of a 'fuel injector cleaning'. As I recall reading in the past, it's just snake oil.

First, since this is the dealer - how can they not know the service intervals for a late model Dodge vehicle? My Journey isn't going to need any diff or transmission service for probably another year and half, not until 64,000 miles.

And I thought things like "fuel injector cleaner" were the Provence of those rip-off 5 minute oil changes places?

Diff and tranny I'll just do myself - that way I know it will be done right.

At any rate, I was kind of disgusted. Plus, imagine people paying for unnecessary service because they don't know any better??? Lots of people, if the dealer tells them the service was due at 36k, would just go ahead and do it.

I know exactly what you mean. That's the reason I changed dealerships after buying six vehicles at this one dealer. They had a change in ownership and then tried to do the same with me. This time I bought at a different dealer. The other dealer just recently changed hands and I'm sure it's because they were losing sales because of their unnecessary pressure in the service department. I'm very happy with my new dealer. Unfortunately this behaviour reflects poorly on Chrysler. You should contact customer care and complain about this nonsense. Many years ago, my wife brought her car into the dealer and I noticed they shampooed her engine because they said it was a necessary part of the service. When I saw the bill I called the dealer and got the money back.

Shampooed the engine? did they actually DO that, or was it just a nonsensical charge tacked onto the bill? Not quite sure how one would 'shampoo' an engine - cleaning/detailing the engine compartment - sure - but shampoo???? Maybe they shoulda offered a perm too? LOL

At any rate, I am inclined to file a complaint. A lot of people could end up paying for service more often than the factory recommends, particularly older ladies I'd imagine.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

Yup, had the same thing where they tried pushing some expensive fuel system cleaning service that's when I asked what exactly they do for this type of service??? Once the service adviser got as far as saying they pour a bottle of cleaner in the gas tank I stopped her there and said no thanks......I can get decent fuel system cleaners at the parts store on special and have it done for under $10. The other classic tale is after my first oil change (5,000 km/3,100 miles) the service adviser shows me my clean engine air filter asking if I wanted it replaced......Really???? :lol:

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Service managers are salesmen. They have to sell if they want to make commission. Eventually the pressures become to much and deception becomes the last resort to feed their families.

You can blame the dealers for this. They can replace a rep who gets a bad name, but they cant replace their stealership. I love when they say "the person you dealt with is no longer here, we had to let him go due to multiple complaints". WHAT A JOKE!!!

It pays to become an informed consumer. RESEARCH always. Never pay for "recommended" services until you can research to see 1. if it is something you can do yourself, or 2. if it is required, shop around for the best price. Most times, the labor rate is what balloons the cost of these "services". The dealer is the LAST place I take my car for anything, unless it is warranty work.

Yeah, but you'd think that the dealer would adhere to the service schedule that Chrysler recommends for their vehicles - LOL I do feel bad about it because people could get ripped off - I suppose they aren't "cheated" in that the fluids would get changed, but it wasn't necessary or beneficial either.

Also, you'd think dealers, would keep their prices more reasonable in order to GET more service business. It's a vicious circle - the dealer has to charge MORE because the volume is LOWER.

There is a maintenance chart in your owner's manual that outlines exactly what Dodge specifies for maintenance at each mileage interval. If it isn't printed there, then you don't need it. The only exceptions to that is if there are driving and/or use conditions that warrant more frequent service for certain items (i.e. trailer towing, frequent short trips, etc) which fall outside of what the factory considers "normal" driving.

Things like fuel injection service and fluid flushes are a complete waste of your money and is nothing more than a revenue generating tool for a service shop. The factory actually issued a bulletin to us dealers a couple of years ago, dissuading dealer principals and service managers from these practices as they are harmful to customer retention and satisfaction. Fluid flushes, as per the factory, are not necessary unless the fluid has been contaminated or compromised by a component failure. Your manual outlines when things like coolant, transmission fluid and AWD/Differential fluids are replaced. For the record, a 2013 Journey has those services at 60,000 miles. The transmission fluid and filter are called for at 60K if used for towing or fleet/taxi use. Otherwise, the transmission service is due at 120K. Personally, I would change it at 60K myself - my 300M has had regular transmission services and still shifts perfectly at 286,000 miles. But at 41K - all of the extras they recommended to you are just that - extras.

This practice irritates me to no end. Jaysixspeed is correct in saying that dealers should keep prices reasonable to attract more business. I can tell you unequivocally that that practice does indeed work. Keep the prices competitive and the service honest and the customer will return to you because you have earned their trust. Trust = business.