Upgraded from RE2 to RB5 almost home!!

Ok guys I bought a 2013 Dodge Journey with the RE2 radio. Didn't like that it didn't have Nav or uconnect. I googled everywhere and saw that people were having issues with it and that dealers were saying it can't be done on 2013 models.

So I took the chance and found a RB5 at a car junk yard. They had the 2011 and 2012 version. From what I read whatever year radio installed the display would show the colour from that year. 2011 light blue, 2012 dark blue plus anti theft code. My 2013 has a red display and I was fine with getting the 2012 with the dark blue.

Removed the RE2 and installed the RB5, powered it up and to my surprise the screen was red. But I needed the anti-theft code. Called around to dealers and were told that they don't give these things out, that I probably stole to radio etc. Anyways I found one dealer that said to bring the radio in with the bill of sale and VIN from the car it came from. Asked if there was a charge and was quoted $50-$100. Took the radio in and 45 minutes had the code and wasn't charged a thing!! Punched the code in and unlocked the radio. Everything worked without having the dealer "flash" my car.

My Garmin maps were outdated back from 2010. Downloaded Garmin 2014.10 maps. Installed with all the extras as well (Junction View)

The only thing I want to do is activate uconnect. I don't have the phone option on my radio. I did have a Dodge Ram before with stock radio, I changed that to the RER and just added the mic and that activated the uconnect. I was wondering if anyone knows an inexpensive option to do this? Without having to buy the rear view mirror or a new steering wheel? The dealer says I can buy a uconnect button thingy part #82213152 buts its $500 and from what I read only works on the 4.3 screen. Also the dealer told me they can add uconnect to my car by flashing it for $600.

Long story short I have a hard time believing anything the dealers tell me.

So, I'm probably totally missing the point somehow. . . But wouldn't it have been easier, and maybe even cheaper, if you include time spent on the project, to have traded your DJ for another with the options you are trying to get? I get that maybe you are a tinkerer and this project is only the excuse to tinker, but I am not wired that way and have difficulty with laboring and toiling for countless hours to obtain what can be obtained for less when the cost of labor is factored in. Please don't take me as being condescending, I'm just trying to understand. I would have traded my DJ or paid to have the dealer upgrade the system. I think I would have even had a warranty in either case. I have the 8.4 with Bluetooth and Nav and I completely get why one would want those. Anyway, best of luck to you. I hope your RB5 works great when you're done.

Peace.

• 1 month later...

And this is why I would never trade my 2010 Journey for any other one 2011 and newer. I hate that I caint change out the radio to a high end after market one. I looked at a 2014 just today at a dealer. I like most everything about it but when I looked at the radio/temperature/infotainment dashboard. I said no way would I want that. Yes it has a few cool features but being able to change out the radio is a major thing for me. I dont know what Im gonna do when my Journey dies.

And this is why I would never trade my 2010 Journey for any other one 2011 and newer. I hate that I caint change out the radio to a high end after market one. I looked at a 2014 just today at a dealer. I like most everything about it but when I looked at the radio/temperature/infotainment dashboard. I said no way would I want that. Yes it has a few cool features but being able to change out the radio is a major thing for me. I dont know what Im gonna do when my Journey dies.

Ok, I get what you are saying. The freedom to install aftermarket components makes sense. I just can't understand all the work to obtain and install the OEM components in the second generation DJ when they are available for a comparable cost (without any labor) via trade. And you get a warranty! Electronic units are finicky no matter what.

I guess some folks just like to tinker. I get that, but it seems to me that a tinkerer would rather end up with some AV configuration that is completely custom, not exactly the same as OEM. I understand that the level of integration of our second generation DJ does not really allow customization. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread away from those working on their projects. Best of luck to all those working on upgrading.

Peace.

Gary - you will need the Hands Free Module at the least. Not sure if the wiring is there or not - you can open up the steering column to check first if you wish. I think Mcgusto is right about the mirror - the mic is integrated into it unless they all have it and it is simply not enabled. I have attached descriptions and pictures of the HFM and the Rearview Mirror for you to check out:

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Hands Free/Description DESCRIPTION

GUID-081170508.jpg

The Hands Free Module (HFM) (3) (also known as the Bluetooth™ module) is found in vehicles equipped with the optional Uconnect® Hands-Free System. This module is located beneath the instrument panel and above the steering column. The HFM hardware and circuitry is contained and protected within a molded black plastic housing that has two integral mounts (2) and an integral locating pin (1). The HFM is positioned to a stamped metal steering column mounting bracket by the locating pin, then secured to the bracket by two screws.

The HFM has three integral connector receptacles that are oriented toward the dash panel when it is installed in the vehicle. The two largest receptacles (5 and 6) connect the HFM to the vehicle electrical system through dedicated take outs and connectors of the instrument panel wire harness. The smallest connector (4) accepts a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable connector that connects the HFM to the Radio Receiver Module (RRM) (also known as the radio or the head unit).

The internal circuitry of the HFM includes a microcontroller, flash memory and a Bluetooth™ module. The module also includes sophisticated Voice Recognition (VR) software. The HFM software is flash programmable.

The HFM cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if damaged or ineffective, the entire HFM must be replaced.

23 - Body/Interior/MIRROR, Rearview/Removal REMOVAL
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure
Primary
LOP Related
LOP Description Skill Level Skill Category 23121001 - Mirror, inside rear view Standard mirror 0 - Low Skilled 1C 23121002 - Mirror, inside rear view Auto dimmimg/map lighting/smartbeam 1 - Semi Skilled 1C 23121003 - Mirror, inside rear view Courtesy/map/read lamp / U connect / PASS 0 - Low Skilled 1C

GUID-23-037-248-7741.jpg
  1. If the vehicle is equipped with either the electrochromic (automatic dimming) or the telematic (hands-free phone) mirror option, disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the electrochromic mirror takeout and connector (1) and/or the telematic mirror takeout and connector (2) of the headliner wire harness from the connector receptacle on the back (windshield side) of the mirror housing (3).