AC/Defrost Controls stopped working on 4.3

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT 2.4L. All of the AC and Defrosting functions on the 4.3 screen have stopped working completely, I can tap the icons and nothing happens. Everything else is working fine. Has anyone else ever had a similar problem? If so, how did your dealership handle it? What can I expect?

• 1 month later...

Tiger Shark, we have had the same issues with the climate control system. Early symptoms included hot air coming out the passenger vent while cold air came out the driver's vent even though the unit was in the sych mode. Upon startup with the unit in the dash vent mode, it would immediately switch to defrost mode and the key pad would not accept changes. Chrysler Corp Service said "That is actually normal operation. It's to prevent a nasty blast of hot, damp air from hitting you in the face. The evaporator will cool a little then the system will switch to vent. Again this is normal." Odd that for the first 11 months we had the car, it didn't work that way. Finally, the 4.3 climate control system gave up and wouldn't accept any changes.

Last week Chrysler agreed to replace the A/C Control Head and as of today, it's working fine.

Tiger Shark, we have had the same issues with the climate control system. Early symptoms included hot air coming out the passenger vent while cold air came out the driver's vent even though the unit was in the sych mode. Upon startup with the unit in the dash vent mode, it would immediately switch to defrost mode and the key pad would not accept changes. Chrysler Corp Service said "That is actually normal operation. It's to prevent a nasty blast of hot, damp air from hitting you in the face. The evaporator will cool a little then the system will switch to vent. Again this is normal." Odd that for the first 11 months we had the car, it didn't work that way. Finally, the 4.3 climate control system gave up and wouldn't accept any changes.

Last week Chrysler agreed to replace the A/C Control Head and as of today, it's working fine.

That is exactly what im experiencing right from the start of owning my 2012 for 14 months now! Passenger side blow hot air even if you sync the front climate control.. So i opt to use auto to resolve it. Hope its still under warranty when times comes it decided to quit!

• 3 months later...

Mine is stuck on defrost and the 4.3 headunit won't cut on. Dealership is trying to get out of honoring the warranty by saying its bc of aftermarket navi hooked up to factory 4.3 which is not true as the car was sold to me saying it had factory navi. But I can't prove it bc I did buy it used w 28000 miles but everything appears factory.

Mine is stuck on defrost and the 4.3 headunit won't cut on. Dealership is trying to get out of honoring the warranty by saying its bc of aftermarket navi hooked up to factory 4.3 which is not true as the car was sold to me saying it had factory navi. But I can't prove it bc I did buy it used w 28000 miles but everything appears factory.

You have posted this issue in three different threads now. If the navi is aftermarket, the warranty is voided. Now, as stated in your other thread, if you have some documentation stating that everything is factory, then you have a leg to stand on. The 4.3 did not come with navigation from the factory. Was is a generic used car dealer or a Dodge dealership?

Edited by jkeaton

The 4.3 does not come factory w/navigation.

Someone else tinkered with it and probably messed something up.

That's unfortunate, but your only hope is to go back to whoever sold you the car and try to get them to fix it, as they sold you a car with possibly faulty aftermarket equipment.

Good luck