Towing Noob, looking for some advice...

jctoolman

Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Journey Crew with the Trailer Tow Prep Group on it and want to add a hitch to it.

I've been comparing hitches from all sorts of manufacturers (Mopar, Reese, Curt) and seem to have settle on the Class III hitch from Curt, I like the beefiness of the Curt Class II versus the Class II. I'm not planning on towing a lot but want to make sure I've got a sturdy hitch.

First, any problems using a Class III hitch even though the Journey is rated max at 2500 lbs. I'm guessing I'd tow 1500-2000 lbs at a time.

Second, if I did put a Class III hitch on, any chance it would affect my drivetrain warranty, since the capacity of the hitch exceeds the recommended tow max?

Third, the biggest downside I see with hitches is appearance, after 18-24 months they always ending up looking like a rust bucket. I've been thinking of getting the hitch coated in Line-X or Herculiner before ithe hitch gets installed to protect it from salt season...

So if you have some wisdom to share with me on these questions, or perhaps questions I haven't asked that I should be asking, Please let me know.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Jeff

I have the Mopar hitch on my 2013 Crew. It is 3500 lb rated even though the car has a 2500lb capacity - it used to have a 3500 lb rating but was lowered for 2011 and up. Here is a picture so you can see what it looks like:

journey33_zpsd5e2e3a2.jpg

Like yourself, I will only be towing a 1200lb pop-up camper, plus gear and stuff. This hitch is plenty sturdy and will have more than enough capacity for the load, which is how I like it. Too soon to comment on corrosion but the finish seems durable. No issue with the warranty as this is what the factory calls for. Exceeding the 2500 lb towing limit could stress the cooling system and cause a non-warrantable repair, but your plans don't include towing that kind of weight, so no worries.

• 3 weeks later...