Question on the trailer tow prep package

It says on the description of the trailer tow prep package that it comes with the engine oil cooler, hitch and 7 pin wiring harness. Is the engine oil cooler a transmission oil cooler? My journey didn't come with a hitch, and I wanted to install one, but didn't know if I would needed an engine oil cooler, or a transmission oil cooler, or whether it was necessary at all. I have the 3.5L with 6 speed auto. Thanks to all for posting info on what hitches were available.

It says on the description of the trailer tow prep package that it comes with the engine oil cooler, hitch and 7 pin wiring harness. Is the engine oil cooler a transmission oil cooler? My journey didn't come with a hitch, and I wanted to install one, but didn't know if I would needed an engine oil cooler, or a transmission oil cooler, or whether it was necessary at all. I have the 3.5L with 6 speed auto. Thanks to all for posting info on what hitches were available.

We ordered the trailer prep package. You get a Transmission cooler and a wiring harness. There is no hitch included. You can purchase a Hidden hitch brand 2 inch receiver for Less than $150. It takes a couple hours to install as you have to drop the mufflers.

I didn't connect the wiring harness as All I needed the receiver for was a bike rack, but the harness is not installed unless you set it up with the dealer and there is probably a fee for installing the harness.

Thanks for the info. My Journey didn't come with the trailer prep pack, so I was wondering about the transmission cooler. If I need to add one and it appears most likely that I will, how would it be possible if the transmission is a sealed unit? You can't check the fluid level, and I would think it to be important, but they sell the aftermarket transmission cooler for the Journey at http://www.autoanything.com/suv/dodge/jour...1A23A10019.aspx, and if there was a way of adding this option, would it void the manufactures warranty?

• 5 months later...

i really can not believe the problems you people in the states have with your journey's.... in the UK because we have a diesel version , we already have a 3rd cooling radiator behind the front bumper area (fender??)but just in front of the other two radiators, which is already linked into the transmission....i had the dealer installed tow hitch package, which includes a really great demountable "WESTFELIA" tow ball and electric pack, which i must say is awesome....

but i do find it so strange that a vehicle from the States , has problems with accessories in the States... just amazes me!!!!

(sorry if this info annoys some people!!)