Voice commands to place calls not understood by u-connect.

No matter who's name I say, the answer I get is sorry I did not understand that please try again. I have had different people come in the journey and try but nobody can get the u connect to understand the voice commands with names. If I say dial xxx xxx xxxx. It will dial but doesn't hear any names properly. Anyone else experience this?

Exactly the same problem with mine! Any voice command is useless from nav to everything! To the point that im thinking that i waste money on this option.. I blame my accent as being asian. ,,but hearing the same problem with other members lead me to believe that it might be suck itself!

If at any point before, the voice command worked fine, disconnect the battery lead to reset the hands free module. Has to be like an hour.

We were having the same issue, I unplugged the car for other reason, and I've noticed that it works fine again.

There is also a TSB for updating the hands free module firmware.

If the reset doesn't work, call the dealer.

One thing occurs to me... Does your vehicle actually download (well it doesn't actually download it, it just makes a connection to your phone) your phonebook from your phone? Mine does the same thing, but... Upon investigation, I discovered that while the Journey will connect with my phone and work just fine, it won't download the phonebook. I can tell my UConnect system to phone 1-234-567-8910, and it will work just fine because I gave it the numbers to call. If I try to tell it to Call Mr. Smith, I get the same "I don't understand" type response. I get it because there aren't any names from a non-existant phonebook to compare against and get the number to dial.

Just one more thing to look at... The list of "accepted" phones on the Journey is really, really short, basically a handful of newer smart phones. If you have a dumb phone, or an older not so smart any more phone, it may not be able to see your phonebook. My phone worked fine on my Jeep Commander and my works fine on my RAM 2500, but, they both have/had the MyGig system (RER), because it actually downloads the phone book to its own hard drive while in the Journey, it relies on being able to see your phone's phone book and to communicate with it via the BlueTooth connection. I wish the Journey had that unit (RER); 30 GB hard drive to hold all of our music, phone book, pictures, a voice command system that worked really well and a, to me, much better NAV system. I still can't get my Garmin to route to my house by direct paved roads. It still wants to go 12 miles out of the way using forest service logging roads. Doesn't instill a great deal of faith in my using it to go somewhere I haven't been before...

Edited by webslave

• Official Dodge Support

While I tend to agree with Webslave's assessment of the phone book not downloading correctly, I am posting the TSB mentioned above just in case.

NUMBER: 08-028-12 REV. B
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: August 17, 2012

SUBJECT:
Flash: Hands Free Module Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This Bulletin involves performing a USB service flash of the Hands Free Module (HFM).
MODELS:
2012 (JC) Journey
2012 (LD) Charger
2012 (LX) 300
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with UCONNECT VOICE
COMMAND W/BLUETOOTH (sales code RSP or RSQ for international).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience any of the following:
NOTE: **Enhancements now include all vehicles, not just international vehicles**.
· Inaccurate foreign language translations.
· Voice Recognition is sluggish after changing the language.
· IPhone 4 starts auto recording itself.
· Back ground noise from Automated Speech Recognition.
· When in Bluetooth Streaming Audio (BTSA) mode, the display will show “Music
paused connecting phone” while a song is being played and without an incoming

call.Wrong BTSA screen when deleting.
· When in Text to speech (TTS), it will be a mix of the TTS and recording.
· IPod touch, BTSA will not Audio Stream.
· Integrated center stack screen will display “music paused” after ignition was cycled
and BTSA was being used before the ignition was turned off.
· Automatic Sound Recognition (ASR) Microphone picking up background noise.
· With Sales code RSQ, when the language is set for Italian and after the ignition is
cycled, the phone screens will change to English.
· No response from the voice recognition button on the steering wheel.
· Not being able to enter into the phone screen on the radio.

Thanks for all the .02 but i haven't found an answer that has worked yet. I do not want to go in and remove Battery connections on a vehicle that is less than 1000 km on it. Dont really feel i should have to. Also i have no accent and have had other people try to speak to it as well. It doesn't even understand the "help" command. All it knows is "dial" & the only other response I have ever got from it, is that it tells me it is dialing the "last incoming call" when i asked it to dial "john Smith". Yes It dials when i say to dial xxx (digits) It has my contacts because i can use the scroll dial to find the one i want and then push and make my call. Unfortunately this means taking my eyes off of the road. I can last until my first oil change back at the dealership in which case I will have them look at it. Thot it might be something simple. I have an I Phone 4S.

• 4 months later...

Nevada: I have a 2013 Dodge Journey Crew AWD that is doing that EXACT same thing! Can't figure out why! Did you ever find out? I am taking it in on Monday to the dealership....I only have about 1800 miles on it......it should not be doing that.......very frustrated!

I also have a Iphone 4 too.

• 10 months later...