2013 Journey Oil

saskaman

What oil are you using in your V6 Journey 5W20 or 5W30. Owners manual says to use 5W20 but I just had an oil change done at the dealership and they put in 5W30. Do you think I should get them to drop the new oil and change it to 5W20. This is my first oil change and first experience with service at this dealership. I feel they should have at least explained why they were using 5W30. Not impressed.

What oil are you using in your V6 Journey 5W20 or 5W30. Owners manual says to use 5W20 but I just had an oil change done at the dealership and they put in 5W30. Do you think I should get them to drop the new oil and change it to 5W20. This is my first oil change and first experience with service at this dealership. I feel they should have at least explained why they were using 5W30. Not impressed.

This is the reason why I prefer to do my own oil changes. The dealer was sloppy thinking the 2013's are like the previous model years using 5W30. I would have them change it to the recommended oil.

It won't hurt your engine to have 5W-30 as opposed to 5W-20 in it. In fact, for summer use, it is better to have the added thickness of 30 at the "heated" end of the spectrum. As long as you have the cold start lubricity of the 5W, I only see poor public relations as opposed to a threat of your engine's life. Most auto makers have gone to thinner oils for economy's sake and not any specific need of the engine. The only exception is the Hemi with the MDS option; it needs 0W-20 in order for the valves to properly float when the MDS shuts off 4 cylinders.

From the owner's manual (emphasis added):

"SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating

temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature

starting and vehicle fuel economy."

Again, poor choice by the dealership in not informing you of the mistake and giving you the option of a drain/re-fill, but, there won't be any damage done to your Journey.

• Official Dodge Support

saskaman,

Owner's manual is right, your Journey with the 3.6L uses 5W20 grade oil. It becomes your call if you want the dealer to replace the oil that was added. Speak with the Service Manager at your dealer as to why they used the 5W-30. Based off your location/climate they may have opted to use the 30, however again Chrysler recommends 5W-20 for your vehicle.