Engine check light on and no oomph...

Hi

If anyone can offer any advice or information I would be greatful. I have a dodge journey bought in 2009 new.

My engine check light came on yesterday and car lacks excitation.

I looked on forum for some answers.

I did put fuel in 2 days ago but just checked the fuel cap but it's ok. Its on tight. Just in case it's fuel quality i also put half a tank of fuel in.

I'm driving the car around to see if the light will go off. Just want to make sure this doesn't do the car more harm than good.

Dealer can't fit me in for ten days. I tried turning key on and off few times but no code given to look up problem.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks guys. My knowledge of cars only runs to the colour range! :-)

Even though your dealer can't fit you in for a repair appointment, I would check with them to see if they could at least read the code to check what the problem is. You may or may not be doing additional damage to the engine/powertrain by continued use. If they can't/won't at least read the code, try taking the car to someplace that will; TrakAuto, AutoZone, NAPA, etc. Most of those places have the code readers and will read the code for you free.

IMHO, it would behoove almost everyone, nowadays, to get at the minimum a code reader for their OBDII systems. They aren't that expensive, the cheapest ones are around $25 and, while they won't erase the codes or do some of the more fancy tests at that price point, they will at least get you the code that you can then look up on the web. I carry a mid-priced one in each of my vehicles (it will read and reset the codes) and I have a high dollar one in the workshop that will read while on the move, capturing live data, and will even "exercise" all the switches, relays and sensors on the car. If you are a DIY you should spring for one of the better ones (several hundred dollars), but, my feeling is everyone should have at least a "reader" available since the cars won't tell you, basically, any more than "hey, you've got a problem". Until such time as the cars actually tell you in the language you speak, what the problem is, you'll have to take it on yourself to try and figure out if you are causing addition damage...

You could have bad fuel - maybe picked up water - enough to make things run bad but not so much that the vehicle stalls out.

Take it to a local garage (it doesn't have to be a Chrysler dealer) and ask them to read the codes and check the fuel for contamination - the filter may be clogged (if that's the case you're in for a new fuel pump IIRC - the filter is paper but it isn't replaceable as far as Chrysler is concerned).

Don't know where your located i.e. NA or Euro!

If it,s a CRD DJ could be fuel filter or turbo problems.

If it's gas engine sounds as if it's in LIMP mode.

Possible that you have bad fuel or put diesel itnto

gas tank,I noted a TV news article last week with a number

of occurences of diesel being put in gas station tanks in error.