Have 2013 4.3.... Want a 8.3...

What would I need to purchase, if it can even be done, to upgrade my 4.3 to a 8.3 (none nav.) system?

I don't currently have the satellite or Bluetooth capabilities and neither is really needed. If its an easy addition I wouldn't mind them though :D Navigation isn't needed or really wanted.

What parts do I purchase?

Where would I be able to purchase them?

Would it be easier to go with an aftermarket radio?

I like the stock look and would rather stay with it... But it's easier and cheaper with an aftermarket system I should probably go that route.

Even if you, your boyfriend, fiance, father, etc., install it, my WAG would be that an aftermarket radio would be cheaper since you don't really want all of the "goodies" that the 8.4 unit has. The units, IIRC, are a double-DIN sized fitment and the only thing you would need from the dealer is the proper trim plate that would have the 8" opening in it. A good aftermarket stereo shop could probably install a high-grade double-DIN unit for less than half the price of even an eBay original head unit. They may even be able to trim the 4.3 opening in the trim plate that you currently have to allow for the 8.4 sized stereo. Some of the aftermarket units are actually quite "sexy" in eye appeal and I don't think they would be unattractive sitting in place of a stock 8.4 unit that you really aren't going to take advantage of. I'd cruise by one of your local, good, automotive stereo shops and see what they have to offer if you just want the eye candy of a larger stereo; you can probably get one that will play your CDs and have a usb input for your iPod...for less than the stock head unit alone.

Now, if you want the back up camera, the environmental control tie in (heat and A/C), compass, etc. Then you'll have to go stock and that's going to start getting into some big money real quick...

Edited by webslave

The after market is s no go.

Theres many limitations to swapping out the DJs radio.

For one, there's no existing trim adaptor to replace the 4.3 screen bezel.

You can't delete the screen as it controls numerous vehicle functions (a/c, vehicle settings, etc.)

Besides, the screen bezel is not strong enought to hold a 2 DIN radio. They are relatively heavy.

The space behind the screen is also not structured to hold anything in any one place besides the screen bezel.

The actual radio is mounted behind the A/C knobs below.

Then there's the harness adaptors / interface (none listed on crutch field) so you'd loose steering wheel buttons.

Now there is 1 aftermarket option. There's a member on here that has it.

It's the Chinese clone of the uConnect.

I have a second generation of the Chinese mygig on my GC.

Has lots of features!, and evey one of them has it's flaws that go from annoying to meh..

8'' 2012 Fiat Leap/ Freemont Car DVD,GPS,BT,Ipod,Radio,TV,PIP,RDS,SWC

I don't expect this radio to be any different, and it cost 600-700$

When I added the 8.4 to our 4.3, I spent around 550$ before I added back up cam.

That's about what it would cost if you source 2nd hand parts. I'd stick to 2012 parts also as the 2013 has anti theft features that can give u a headache.

Read thru the posts, the topic has been covered very well.

Let me ask you, what features DO you want, and how much do you want to spend?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...