First Fluid Changes?

Hi Everyone,

As you can see from my screen-name, I have a 2013 Journey Crew with the 3.6L pentastar, and it has just passed 1,000-miles. I usually like to do a first fluid change at about this time, to get rid of all the break-in remnants. But when reading the maintenance schedule in the manual, I was surprised to see the recommended intervals.

According to the manual, the first AT fluid & filter change is to be done at 12-years/120,000-miles, whaaaaat!?!?!, the first coolant change is 10-years/100,00-miles. Is this true, this seems to go against every bit of common-sense and intuition about engines and transmissions that I've ever learned?

I plan to due an oil change before I hit 1,500-miles, but haven't decided if I should DIY it(I've done my own oil changes for many years), or bring it someplace(dealer, pep-boys, etc.).

I was going to have the tranny fluid & filter done as well and maybe the coolant if I were to bring it some place, but now I don't know if I should just do the engine-oil only. I understand the tranny fluid & filter may not be a DIY or even a pep-boys job, is this true also?

Any recommendations or advice, WWYD(what would you do)?

Joe

Edited by 2013 - Journey Crew

I got my plugs,tranny fluid,and antifreeze changed at the dealer at 50000 miles and then again at 100000 miles

The transmission has no dipstick and a gauge is needed to check the level

Wouldnt hurt to change engine oil and filter but the transmission and antifreeze I think would wait a while

Thanks Larry,

That's what I was thinking too. I just figure that if doing an oil change early on, to remove any metal shavings etc. from break-in is a good idea, then doing a tranny F&F change would be a good idea for the same reasons. Especially on a fairly new technology 6-speed auto. There must be a ton of gears and moving parts in there as well.

Anybody else with thoughts on this, as well as thoughts on these seemingly looong scheduled fluid change intervals?

Thanks.

The coolant in the 2013 models is different from my 2011. I have the orange color HOAT coolant good for 5 years or 100,000km/60,000 miles....yours should have the MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant "10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106". I think from another thread i've read it is purple in colour??? Anyhow, replacing it early may be a waste of good fluid and money. I'm sure they can test the fluid before unnecessarily replacing it.

As for the transmission fluid they recommend replacing it at 60,000 miles/4 years (2011 model) but since it is a sealed unit and I can't tell if the fluid is burnt I will be replacing mine at 50,000 km/30,000 miles and I'm sure the dealer will be recommending the same.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

The coolant in the 2013 models is different from my 2011. I have the orange color HOAT coolant good for 5 years or 100,000km/60,000 miles....yours should have the MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant "10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106". I think from another thread i've read it is purple in colour??? Anyhow, replacing it early may be a waste of good fluid and money. I'm sure they can test the fluid before unnecessarily replacing it.

As for the transmission fluid they recommend replacing it at 60,000 miles/4 years (2011 model) but since it is a sealed unit and I can't tell if the fluid is burnt I will be replacing mine at 50,000 km/30,000 miles and I'm sure the dealer will be recommending the same.

Hi,

Just so I'm clear on this, Dodge/Chrsler recommended 60,000-miles for your 2011,and you're doing it at 30,000? Therefore, your first tranny F&F replcement will be at 30,000-miles, yes? I guess this seems OK to me.

However, for 2013 models they're recommending 12-years/120,000-miles before first tranny service(F&F replacement), so even halving that to 60,000-miles seems very high to me, to wait for the first fluid/filter replcement on such a complex and heavily used piece of machinery. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

As for the coolant, yes mine is purple(ish). I was only thinking of doing a coolant change, and maybe a flush, for the same reasons: possible molding/machining detritus from within all the cooling channels of the block. I suppose anything in there would have already ended up lodged someplace in the radiator anyway, so changing and/or flushing wouldn't do much anyway.

Since i can't get access to inspect the condition of the transmission fluid with out paying the dealer to do it i figure that 30,000 would be the best time to change the fluids to avoid any costly repairs down the road.........2013's use the ATF+4 fluid like 2011's so someone with a little more knowledge would have to explain why the major difference in change intervals between the 2 years with the same fluid.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Why do you think Dodge puts out a maintenance schedule in the owners manual? It's because they've tested it and they know when fluids should be changed. Just stick to the manual you guys. I think Dodge knows what they're doing when they recommend fluid change schedules. Engines nowadays are much better off than engines of the past. JUST STICK TO THE OWNERS MANUAL. But then again, you can change fluids early and waste the money if you want; it's not my money.

I did my first oil change at 4k and 8k, and then ever 8k miles after that. That's when the oil change indicator comes on. Haven't touched any other fluids yet because the manual and dealer doesn't say too.

Why do you think Dodge puts out a maintenance schedule in the owners manual? It's because they've tested it and they know when fluids should be changed. Just stick to the manual you guys. I think Dodge knows what they're doing when they recommend fluid change schedules. Engines nowadays are much better off than engines of the past. JUST STICK TO THE OWNERS MANUAL. But then again, you can change fluids early and waste the money if you want; it's not my money. I did my first oil change at 4k and 8k, and then ever 8k miles after that. That's when the oil change indicator comes on. Haven't touched any other fluids yet because the manual and dealer doesn't say too.

Bump!

Edited by rolly

Why do you think Dodge puts out a maintenance schedule in the owners manual? It's because they've tested it and they know when fluids should be changed. Just stick to the manual you guys. I think Dodge knows what they're doing when they recommend fluid change schedules. Engines nowadays are much better off than engines of the past. JUST STICK TO THE OWNERS MANUAL. But then again, you can change fluids early and waste the money if you want; it's not my money. I did my first oil change at 4k and 8k, and then ever 8k miles after that. That's when the oil change indicator comes on. Haven't touched any other fluids yet because the manual and dealer doesn't say too.

LOL, you scold us to "JUST STICK TO THE OWNERS MANUAL" then you tell us that your first oil change was at 4K when it should have been at 8K according to your manual. Why did you replace it that early?

Chrysler has the 12 year mark written in the 2013 owners manual because to them that would probably be considered the life of the vehicle and they are probably right as most of us won't have it that long. A tranny fluid change if vehicle will be replaced within 5 years is a waste. I on the other hand plan to keep this vehicle for awhile (unless it gives me grief) so I will do the early fluid change instead of keeping old degraded oil that will cause possible damage to my tranny. By the way my wife (and I) don't put on the high miles so 30,000 miles would be 4 years which is the owners manual scheduled fluid replacement.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I appreciate all the comments everyone.

I do tend to favor manufacturer's recommendations the vast majority of the time, and coming from a technical/engineering background myself, I think that that's generally a good practice.

However, in this case, 12-years/120,000-miles seems, to me, to be a reeeeeeealy long time to leave a transmission unmaintained, especially since there appears no way for the end-user to even monitor the fluid level of the transmission, nor to check the fluid itself for any suspended detritus or for degredation of the fluid itself. This, to me, goes against all common sense and intuition.

I/we passed on our old vehicle to a family member when we got this one. That car was 14-1/2 years old, with under 80,000-miles on it. I don't remember the recommended interval in the manual, I think it was about every 30-40,000-miles, but I changed the tranny fluid & filter about every 10,000-miles(2-years),(I could regularly check the level/color/smell/and "feel" of the fluid, and I could usually tell when it needed to be done), and the oil(synthetic) and filter every 2,000-2,500-miles. Did I waste my money, maybe, but I never had a single engine/tranny problem with that car, ever. Same for the car I had before that, maintained in similar fashion, ~ 8 years ~145,000-miles, passed on to friends, and it was still running and being used 5-6 years later.

While I may trust the manufacturer's guideline/schedule, I'm uncomfortable with it this time, and the idea of having no way to check the level and quality of the fluid. I also don't find most dealerships very concientious nor trustworthy(at least not in my area), so being forced to be only able to have it done there doesn't make me feel very confident either.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts and comments, they are all helpful and will aid in my decision making.

Thanks!!

Joe

LOL, you scold us to "JUST STICK TO THE OWNERS MANUAL" then you tell us that your first oil change was at 4K when it should have been at 8K according to your manual. Why did you replace it that early?

Chrysler has the 12 year mark written in the 2013 owners manual because to them that would probably be considered the life of the vehicle and they are probably right as most of us won't have it that long. A tranny fluid change if vehicle will be replaced within 5 years is a waste. I on the other hand plan to keep this vehicle for awhile (unless it gives me grief) so I will do the early fluid change instead of keeping old degraded oil that will cause possible damage to my tranny. By the way my wife (and I) don't put on the high miles so 30,000 miles would be 4 years which is the owners manual scheduled fluid replacement.

Because 4k miles is when the first oil indicator light comes on (search around, it's the same for everyone). I guess it's different for everybody depending on your driving style. We drive nearly 30k miles per year, so we'll be at 120k miles in probably 3 more years. That seems perfectly reasonable to me for a tranny flush. I agree though, I would never wait 12 years to change out the same old fluid. My bad, I wasn't aware you guys put so low of miles on the vehicle. We buy vehicles to drive them to the ground :).

If I drove that low of miles, I would probably change my oil earlier than 8k miles too. I wouldn't want the same engine oil in there the whole year. I'd change it at least twice per year.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's try this again. :hammer_self:

My manual says to exchange my automatic transaxle fluid every 120,000 miles but the dealer was recommending it at 90,000 miles. I looked at the fluid and it is getting brownish (or dirty). I was wondering if it's ok to get it changed at a place like NTB or do I have to have the dealer do it. I ask because I know the dealers like to keep you coming to them and they are more expensive. Thanks in advance.

My manual says to exchange my automatic transaxle fluid every 120,000 miles but the dealer was recommending it at 90,000 miles. I looked at the fluid and it is getting brownish (or dirty). I was wondering if it's ok to get it changed at a place like NTB or do I have to have the dealer do it. I ask because I know the dealers like to keep you coming to them and they are more expensive. Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that you do not have to go to a dealer to get your service done as long as you can document that it was done and when (date/miles). This would not void your warranty. I tend to have my dealer service my vehicle anyway during the warranty period so that they maintain the record of service and there is no debate weather it was done or not. And it does not cost that much more than a quick lube place. After the warranty has expired, I do most of my own service and maintenance.

Just my 2 cents worth.

If you are still under warranty I would recommend the dealer do it.

If you are still under warranty I would recommend the dealer do it.

I agree with you on that, but there is no requirement to have the dealer do the service as long as it is done and documented. Myself, I also go to the dealer for piece of mind and in the event I do have a warranty issue there is no issues with weather the service was done and done to Dodge standards. It really does not cost that much more. Also, some owners may not live close enough to a dealer to make it practical to run to the dealer for a simple service. In Canada you could be several hours from a dealer so it is more practical for those owners to get the service done locally and have it documented.

I agree with you on that, but there is no requirement to have the dealer do the service as long as it is done and documented. Myself, I also go to the dealer for piece of mind and in the event I do have a warranty issue there is no issues with weather the service was done and done to Dodge standards. It really does not cost that much more. Also, some owners may not live close enough to a dealer to make it practical to run to the dealer for a simple service. In Canada you could be several hours from a dealer so it is more practical for those owners to get the service done locally and have it documented.

You are definitely not obligated to go to the dealer but anything that goes wrong with your transmission flush then that little savings for the service will cost you big time in repairs as I am sure Dodge will give you a hard time in covering the costs under warranty.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Whoever you get to do the service make sure to use Mopar tranny fluid they seem to like the oem fluid best

That was what I really wondering; if the type of fluid mattered.

Thanks to everybody. NTB wants $145.00 to do it but it may cost more if they have to drop the pan. Dodge wants $225.00 to do it and I'd rather use Mopar fluid. I have 83K+ miles on it so I doubt if I have a manufacturer warranty on it.

mins

That was what I really wondering; if the type of fluid mattered.

Thanks to everybody. NTB wants $145.00 to do it but it may cost more if they have to drop the pan. Dodge wants $225.00 to do it and I'd rather use Mopar fluid. I have 83K+ miles on it so I doubt if I have a manufacturer warranty on it.

your dealership is price gouging you. the dealer i go to his reg. price is 179.00 and they are running a special till the end of the month for 169. not much off but at least it is being done by a dodge dealer. and that is for a fuild and filter change not a flush with no filter change

I totally agree with this post.

mins

your dealership is price gouging you. the dealer i go to his reg. price is 179.00 and they are running a special till the end of the month for 169. not much off but at least it is being done by a dodge dealer. and that is for a fuild and filter change not a flush with no filter change

I agree about the gouging. I looked at the estimate again and it says, "transmission service, $230.00", so I'm guessing that includes the filter. I'll have to ask. These guys never seem to have a special. Only oil change coupons. I think I'll check another dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from having my transmisson filter and fluids changed out had 45k on the journey cost was 169. but i am a chrysler ret. so get an extra 10 % off so it came to 158. tax included also picked up 2 more oil filters @ 7.50 each, should be set for a while now. could have had the local mech. do the trans. service for 110. but decided to let dodge do it in case something comes up down the line and have them try to say the other mech did it wrong or used the wrong fluid or filter so iam set for the next 60k till i hit the 100k limit on the power train warrenty..... better safe than sorry....