Check engine light that comes and goes

Bestmilkman

We bought a 2013 Journey r/t in November 2012. Three weeks later, check engine light appears. Go to the dealer, he scans the car and tells me it's a small leak in the evap system. He does a quick fix and the light goes off. Three weeks after that, light comes on again. I go back to the dealer, he scans again and gets the same code. Now the car stays there for two days. He supposedly repairs the leak, checks the car and all is well once again. Two more months go by, light appears again. The next day it goes off by itself. Three days later it comes on again. Back to the dealer. He scans again, the same problem. Now he tells me the computer needs to be changed. I'm still waiting for the car after a week at the dealer with no definitive answers as to if the problem has been resolved. Any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem?

you'll hear this again but; keep track of all the days it has been under repair, what they have done and how many times they tried to fix it. so keep all the paperwork and look into Canada's lemon laws. Seams like a car that might have more going on that meets the eye. If you were in the U.S. most states have a 3rd time trying to fix it then its a lemon, or 30 days at the dealer. And everything should be covered under warranty. it should be close to the lemon law here at least, well it deff would be. if this fix doesn't work then it would be replaced.... quick google search and it appears there is no lemon law in canada, that sucks, but you can look into CAMVAP looks like it might be a good idea as this might be a bigger problem if the computer doesn't fix this.

• Official Dodge Support

Bestmilkman,

I'm sorry for the delay and sorry you are experiencing issues with your Journey,

Is your Journey still at the dealer? What has happened since your post?

If you need any help, please do not hesitate to send me a PM as we would be more than happy to ensure your vehicle is repaired correctly with the help of our Technical Assistance Group.

Well I picked up the car last Thursday. The light is out and so far so good but we will see as time goes on. I have spoken to a friend if mine who is very close to a high ranking employee at Chrysler in Detroit. Still waiting on his reply. In the meantime, I have kept all documentation since the beginning of this ordeal. The dealer said they installed and reprogrammed a new computer. So I guess for now we will have to wait it out and see what happens as time goes on. Thanks for all your responses and help!

Just an update to my problem. Since my last post, the check engine light has reappeared just five days after I picked up the car after it has been at the dealer to change the computer for more than a week. Now I'm at my wits end and I have completely lossed patience and all confiidence in this vehicle and the dealership. I have spoken to the dealership salesman who sold the car to me and requested that he changed the vehicle seeing as they obviously cannot find or fix this problem. So far all I have received from them is the runaround. I am really not impressed since I have been a loyal Dodge customer for many years and owned many Dodge trucks over the years. I hope that Dodge will face up to this problem and change this vehicle as I have only owned it for 4 months and have had problems with it since day one. I think that I've showed enough patience on this issue with Dodge and the dealership and I would really expect some results. If anyone out there can help me with this , any feedback would be well appreciated. Thanks!

Firstly, figure out what your legal rights are. Contact your friend at Chrysler. Camp out at the dealer. Or some combination of the two. I would personally try to get rid of that vehicle if you are legally entitled. If not, I would certainly take your DJ to another dealer and call Chrysler customer care. Your dealer or another dealer are ultimately the only ones who can help you, I think. Good luck.

Well it's been quite a week. I had to recontact the salesman who sold me the car since he did not have enough courtesy to call me back on time. He told me that the service manager needed to see the vehicle once again at the service department. Then I became furious with him and told him that they were wasting my time and hopefully we were going to find an amicable solution to this so as I didn't have to involve lawyers. He told me no need for lawyers and we set an appointment for next week. In the meantime my friend at Chrysler came through and sent an email to Chrysler Canada who contacted me at my residence. I requested a new vehicle and they told me that Chrysler doesn't have a buyback program so I should go back to the service at the dealership where I purchased the car and they would contact the said dealer and get to the bottom of this with this vehicle. The dealership contacted me today and set up the appointment telling me that Chrysler Canada had contacted them and they were working together to find the problem and solve it once and for all. So basically it looks like I will not get a replacement vehicle but at least they are taking this case a bit more seriously now since they know that Chrysler Canada has been notified of my discontent. The car has to go in next week and the dealer is supposed to keep the car for at least a week to fix and test the vehicle to make sure the light does not come back anymore and the problem is finally solved. So we will see if between the two departments of Chrysler they can give me back some confidence in their product. More news to come...