video experts needed. back-up cam install

So I installed a back up cam on my wife's DJ with the 8.4

Ill post more details on another time, as I ran into a little problem.

I used a lockpick c8, ran. rca thru the roof, down the drivers A pillar.

With everything connected,I get a rolling color screen. As though the video sync is off.

I used the back up bulb for power as I didnt want to run 3 wires instead of the single rca. And I ran ground right to chassis. Is it possible thats the problem?

I'm trying to avoid opening the hatch trim again. Did you guys know thats all fiberglass? The plastic clip holes dont seem to like being taken on and off.

have been wanting to install one myself but was wanting to hear from some that have done it themselfs have you tried calling lockpick for help? hope you get it fixed and let us know how good it is and how hard it was getting the cable to the front of the car. seems like running the cable would have been easier to run under the carpet from the back. good luck....

I haven't tried either lock pick or the camera vendor.

I was doing the install on Saturday afternoon to evening.

It was cold, and eventually a light snow flurry began. 😳😲

I have a 3row DJ, so under the carpet is s def no for me. I think under the carpet would be twice as difficult.

The most difficult part was installing the camera, and routing the wire from the hatch into the cab. Using a metal wire clothes hanger, I routed the wire from rear roof light to the next, to the rear AC control, to the front row light, then to the A pillar. Not difficult at all.

I too have a 7 seater but it was absolutely no problem routing the cable under the carpet.

What do you mean with "rolling color" screen?

The image is stable but the color changes, it's the image that's scrolling or do you see an interference pattern?

I had the latter problem and it turns out it was a ground loop.

I solved it by isolating the ground (i.e. using an isolating dc-dc converter, scavenged from an old network card, to supply power to the camera),.

But it could be something completely different (a faulty cable, a badly seated connector, the camera itself or the lockpick), video signals are temperamental.

In any case, I didn't use the original camera, just a cheap Chinese one, connected to a cheap gps receiver with AV-IN, so I tested it before installing it, and I mounted it in a way that's easy to remove without dismantling the panel (I fabricated a replacement for one of the license plate lights, so just a couple of screws and it's gone).

• 2 weeks later...
I did some more testing, and I'm sure the camera is bad. I'm getting a new one, hopefully by tomorrow.

It seems like camera is stuck on PAL format. The lockpick can only handle (the 8.4 monitor also) NTSC format.

any luck getting your camera to work?

Great news!!

Job done.

I successfully installed the back up cam.

I had to order a second camera and THAT was defective. Lol. But I was able to troubleshoot thd old camera and cable with it, and turned that the original was fine.

I'll have to post pics to better explain myself. I'll get to it later maybe.