Gave the AWD a good test today!

I had to take my snowmobile in to the dealer for service. My 5 x 10 landscaping trailer was parked being the garage, and buried in snow. There must have been 1000 lbs of snow on the deck of the trailer, at least (some of it was deposited by my snowblower too!)

I did snowblow a truck width path across the lawn back to the trailer, but I didn't take into account the turning radius with trailer attached - I had to swing out into unplowed lawn that I'd just thrown snow onto (we got about 12" settled packed snow on the ground )

I was amazed how the Journey bulled it's way thru that snow, while pulling the trailer - it just kept digging and digging - I could feel the torque shifting around from wheel to wheel as the AWD worked its magic. And I'm running the OEM Kumho tires with 25,000 miles on them now.

And yeah, there was a lot of snow on that trailer too.... I had to use the snowblower to clear it off - drove it up the ramp and onto the trailer.

I was suitably impressed with the AWD on my '13 R/T. I got the Journey as the new car on a buy back program for my 2008 Jeep Commander (check engine light on for over 2 1/2 years; they couldn't figure out why or fix it...). One of the things I thought I would really miss was the full time 4 wheel drive of the Commander. Must admit, during the recent snows here, that I couldn't tell the difference in driveability. Now it isn't going to do the off-roading that the Jeep was capable of, but, in the snow (from hard pack to 4" of fluff), I was suitably impressed and I'm thoroughly enjoying driving with no "Check Engine" light on! Took a while, but, Chrysler came through (with the buy back) and I'm very pleased with our pick of the Journey as its replacement. Hopefully it will hold up as well some of the other Dodges that we've owned. 272,000 miles on our 1996 Grand Caravan and 187,000 miles (our son is still driving it) on our 2000 Neon ES.

• Official Dodge Support
Please correct me if wrong but I think the AWD from the Journey came from Mercedez (what's called, 4matic or something like that?)

Actually, does anyone know if it's the same?

oracle,

They are not the same.

The AWD system in the Journey is a Chrysler design, not related to the M-B 4matic at all.

Ok maybe not M-B but I disagree that is a Chrysler design, I mean those guys build cars, they don't design those kinds of components... I'm pretty sure the components are ZF or Getrag (Next time I have the DJ on the lift I'll check) and by contract Manufacturers share design, this way they all save millions, they do that all the time with engines and electronics.

An example is the transmisson of the DJ (V6 3.6) is http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/62TE.html

Anyway just my opinion..

Edited by oracle

Please correct me if wrong but I think the AWD from the Journey came from Mercedez (what's called, 4matic or something like that?)

Actually, does anyone know if it's the same?

The AWD system for the Journey is a "Borg Warner" Interactive Torque Management (ITM 3e) system, which is used in other AWD vehicles, like Hyundai Santa Fe, Tuscon, etc. The Mercedes tie in you maybe thinking of is the Borg Warner 44-40 4WD transfer case. It was used on Chrysler's L body platforms like the 300, Charger, etc and is related to the BW 44-09 used in multiple Mercedes 4WD systems.