New Member Interested in the Journey

SRT Junky

Hello all,

My name is Mike, and I have really liked the Journey for some time. My wife and I just had our first child, so our family is growing. She currently drives a 1997 Chevy Tahoe 2 door. It's a great truck, it just needs two more doors if it is going to work for our growing family.

My wife has made it abundantly clear that she DOES NOT want to drive a mini van, and we need AWD so that we can get to our family cabin in Tahoe when it's snowing. So, that means another SUV or a CUV.

The Tahoe gets roughly 14 mpg. Not so hot. So I'd love to get her into something that can get at least 20 mpg highway.

We are first and foremost, a Dodge family. So, the Journey seems to be the vehicle that is a natural fit for us.

I joined this forum to learn as much as I can about the Journey, and find if it is truly the right vehicle for us.

Hey. Welcome to the club.

My wife said the same thing to me. NO MINIVAN! Lol.

I do have to say. From a 97 Tahoe to a DJ... Even from a 2 door. You're also downsizing.

Have u looked at thd Durango? With the pentastar, you still get good mileage and can tow 6700 lbs.

My wife really likes her DJ. Even after 4 months, I still get impressed by how good looking this car is. We have it in white SXT with the dark window vents. Looks mean.

Ha ha, that's how I started. I joined the forum in May, because I saw so many on the road and was impressed with the way it looked. The information and enthusiasm from the forum members helped ease any misgivings. My wife and I are retired and we are doing driving tour of the States and Canada next year and need a more comfortable ride. We own a 2001 Neon now so it's time for a change. We took a Journey for a 24 hour test drive and put in our order for a 2013 SXT the following week. Welcome to the board!

Hey. Welcome to the club.

My wife said the same thing to me. NO MINIVAN! Lol.

I do have to say. From a 97 Tahoe to a DJ... Even from a 2 door. You're also downsizing.

Have u looked at thd Durango? With the pentastar, you still get good mileage and can tow 6700 lbs.

My wife really likes her DJ. Even after 4 months, I still get impressed by how good looking this car is. We have it in white SXT with the dark window vents. Looks mean.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

As far as the size, we know that the full size Tahoe will be bigger from a sheer size perspective. It has superior ground clearance, and possibly more interior volume. We are really more concerned with finding a vehicle with four doors, AWD, good power, and WAY better gas mileage. So long as the rear cargo area has more room in the back than, say, a new Dodge Dart, I think it should suit our needs.

Plus, the Dart doesn't have an AWD option.

Ha ha, that's how I started. I joined the forum in May, because I saw so many on the road and was impressed with the way it looked. The information and enthusiasm from the forum members helped ease any misgivings. My wife and I are retired and we are doing driving tour of the States and Canada next year and need a more comfortable ride. We own a 2001 Neon now so it's time for a change. We took a Journey for a 24 hour test drive and put in our order for a 2013 SXT the following week. Welcome to the board!

Did you order your DJ SXT with the 2.4, or the 3.6? Also, does anyone know if the 2013s are available with the 8 speed transmission yet?

I ordered it with the 3.6. The difference in gas mileage is negligible. I also got the Navigation and back up camera. The 2013 Navigation system has been upgraded. As far as the transmission I think your out of luck. I believe the Journey is supposed to have a major revamp next year so I doubt if they would make a transmission change until then.

Rolly - do you have your truck yet? if you do, how do you like the nav? I am still awaiting my 2013 R/T..

wondering if you are able to put in addresses ect while the veh is in motion. I know that one shouldn't be doing that, however the passenger should be able to modify/imput.

Edited by White2013JourneyGirl

Rolly - do you have your truck yet? if you do, how do you like the nav? I am still awaiting my 2013 R/T..

wondering if you are able to put in addresses ect while the veh is in motion. I know that one shouldn't be doing that, however the passenger should be able to modify/imput.

No I haven't got it yet. I only ordered it on Septmber 10, so I imagine I won't get it until late November, or early December. The Nav system, I believe is voice activated, but I could be wrong. Here is the link that explains the Navigation system - http://www.driveucon...ey/touch84nrb5/

It's pretty impressive!

Edited by rolly

Oh, cool! So there will be a new Journey for 2014? Does anyone know where I might find info (if any is available) on the changes, or what it might look like?

I frequent AllPar.com, but I have yet to see any info or even rumors about the next Journey there :(

Edited by SRT Junky

Seems to be the same system in my 2012. Whats been upgraded?

New features include 3D buildings and terrain views, improved traffic and routing functionalities, a refined user interface with enhanced colors and themes that are consistent with each vehicle brand and junction views that now cover more than 60,000 intersections across the U.S., among other enhancements.

New features include 3D buildings and terrain views, improved traffic and routing functionalities, a refined user interface with enhanced colors and themes that are consistent with each vehicle brand and junction views that now cover more than 60,000 intersections across the U.S., among other enhancements.

The hardware is the same based on the URLs provided above. So is it just a software update for Garmin?

I think there's a lot of guys who's wives said no minivan haha. I rented a 2010 Grand Caravan in 2010 that only had 23 miles on it when we got it and drove it 9 hours from MD to VT. We were almost dead set on getting one. Thankfully we waited until we were expecting our 3rd baby (Expected January). We looked at a few vehicles, including the Caravan again and decided to go with the Journey. She loves it and it has grown on me in the short time we've had it. I actually enjoy it more than my 400hp Mustang. Super smooth, tons of storage and room for kids/friends/family/etc., and quiet enough that you can't realize how fast you're going until you look. I'd definitely recommend it.

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I live in Virginia. I recently purchased a 2012 journey AVP with the 2.4L and 4 speed automatic. The vehicle itself is amazing and have had no problems with it. I only have 5600 miles but the miles were tough ones. I went to Shennendoah Mountains in Virginia when I only had 1,000 miles on it. I know this might not have been too good on a new transmission and engine but hey it was a good test and passed with flying colors. We had the whole vehicle full with 3 adults and 2 childen ages 8 and 10 along with luggage for 4 days in the mountains! The 2.4L is not the best options as power (hp) goes but hey on the highway the SUV is a champ on gas mileage. We averaged 25 mpg. Keep in mind we traveled up the mountain terrain (paved road) for over 1 hour. Most times reving the engine steady at 3,000 rpm, which sounds bad but remember its a 4 speed automatic so the gears are a tad bit long. Overall very satisfied with the vehicle exterior and interior!

Concerns:

Dodge only offers a standard 3year/36,000 miles warranty and double these numbers for the extended in which I purchased. This to me means that they don't have very much trust in this vehicle long term or maybe they are trying to save a couple bucks in the end? Any suggestions on this matter?

Does anyone know any information if there will be a Dodge Journey SRT6? I was thinking of waiting for the 2014 Dodge Durango 3.6L pentastar with the new 8 speed ZF transmission or maybe the new Journey SRT6 if it is even going into production. Please if you have any information, do explain.

Thanks Dodge fans.

Concerns:

Dodge only offers a standard 3year/36,000 miles warranty and double these numbers for the extended in which I purchased. This to me means that they don't have very much trust in this vehicle long term or maybe they are trying to save a couple bucks in the end? Any suggestions on this matter?

dodge comes with 3yr/36,0000 bumper to bumper warranty and also 5yr/100,000 powertrain warranty (which is engine and transmission )

What's the concern???? Seems no different than any other manufacturers warranty including imports.

Edited by Journey_SeXT