Dodge Journey SXT 2.0CRD fuel consumption

George_R

Hi all,

I have been having recent issues with my Journey 2.0CRD - random misfires, lacking power and poor fuel consumption.

My driving is combined town and urban about 50/50.

When the fuel warning light came on I had filled the tank with 67 litres and drove it until the fuel light came on again. I managed 450 miles of combined driving with no extra weight and only me in the car. I worked this out at average of 30.55mpg (imperial) and 25.43 (US). Figures based on 1 gallon (imperial) = 4.55 litres.

I contacted the dealer who checked the car over and found no faults. They told me to fill the tank so that I could see the fuel in the filler neck, drive 100 miles and refuel to the same point then find out how much fuel I used. I had done this and used 19L for 100 miles which equates to about 23.94mpg (Imperial) and 19.93mpg (US).

They have now told me that this is not far from the average fuel consumption of around 40-45mpg(Imperial) and as such can't fault the car??

The engine used in this car is the VW 2.0 diesel which some have a known injector fault which causes all the symptoms I have, I had tried explaining this to them and have asked that they contact VW for info however they have refused point blank.

Is anyone else having similar issues with the diesel? What are you getting to a full tank?

Many thanks

George

My car has a Fiat diesel engine, so it's not that useful to you, but it can be used as a reference (considering that it drives the same weight): according to fuelly the average MPG(uk) is 35.9 (7.9l/100km), and, while not too bad for the weight of the car, it's a bit more fuel than expected according to the specifications.

Even if I don't like German technology (I think it's just overrated s*it with a not deserved reputation), it cannot be that bad, so I think it must be defective.

BTW, even with a completely different engine, I have the occasional misfire and lack of power. Once, while driving in the highway, I though the engine would stall. As usual the dealer found no faults.

Thank you for the reply.

I picked up the car from the garage today after doing what the requested only to be told that they can't find anything wrong with it. I asked them if they had driven it the 100 miles and refilled the tank only to be told that the wouldn't do that despite agreeing to at the time of booking in and being told that they could keep the car for as long as it takes. They have told me that the EVIC is showing 45-50 mpg(US) on average so everything must be ok. That would equate to 54-60mpg (UK). Despite having the discussion about these things not being accurate I can't see those figures being a reality no matter how tame I drive! They have now told me to try it again and if I get the same readings just to bring it back then the will try it. Getting fobbed off I think!

I had found alleged mpg figures on the internet and thought it best to find out what the drivers are actually getting so I know what I'm aiming for.

Next step is a visit to Audi to see if they can shed any light on it.

Thanks again for your reply

• 2 months later...

How did you get on with this?

I've got the 2.0l RT model and he trip computer reports about 32mpg. I just did a test - only managed 80 mi on £20 of fuel. That works out at about 25.5mpg.. Almost 30mpg less than the quoted..

I also got fobbed off by the garage when I bought it... Promised letters and emails confirming a problem but never sent anything...

• 4 months later...