Total Failure Electronics

Germax

It happened to me three times now. When driving suddenly a total power outage. Car remains running and breaking but:

1) No AC

2) No Radio

3) No window function

When switching the car off and on it all works normal again.

Who has an idea?

It did not happen close to the dealership so going in there and trying to replicate the fault has not been possible yet.

It happened to me three times now. When driving suddenly a total power outage. Car remains running and breaking but:

1) No AC

2) No Radio

3) No window function

When switching the car off and on it all works normal again.

Who has an idea?

It did not happen close to the dealership so going in there and trying to replicate the fault has not been possible yet.

No ideas here, but I will be watching this thread to see if you post a followup. One time I had a similar occurrence. I was driving and came to a stop at an intersection. Screen went out for sure and A/C went off, I think. I want to say the stereo still worked, but I can't remember. Car still ran fine and brakes worked as I stopped. I turned the engine off, restarted, and all the electronics came alive as they should. It was strange. It happened so fast and the car was new so I didn't think to make a mental note of all the symptoms. I think I may have posted something on this forum. Anyway, it has only happened once since I got my DJ in June 2011. It happened while driving in town. My DJ is my trip car and I have about 16 K miles on the car now. I'd say 80+% of those miles are highway miles. Not sure if that has anything to do with this situation or not.

The only thing I can say is that shortly (about a month or so) after my electronics went out at the intersection, my cruise control began acting funny and ultimately my SCCM (steering column control module) was replaced to correct that. Maybe that little gizmo is contributing? That is the only problem I have had with my DJ over the past year. Good Luck. I'll be interested in updates.

Peace.

We found the problem!

I am noot sure if many of you know but there was a recall last year concerning the Igniition lock. It was slightly modified due to problems may arise with sudden stop of the engine. Caused by low ignition key displacement.

Today when driving i played a bid with the key (turning to engine start position)and suddenly everything went dead. Played a little more and it all worked again. Went to the dealer, showed them the problem and left the car for repair.

I assume that this is warranty, the lock can not be damaged after 52.000 miles......in just two years.

Edited by Germax

This happened to me about 6 months ago. First it would just lose electrical for a few seconds then regain electrical, when electrical came back wipers would cycle, spedo what cycle like it does when you start it and that would be it. It gradually got worse to the point it would do it non-stop which would mean the wipers would run continuously, and I had zero electrical while driving. I did a little research and decided to pull the gauge cluster and I unpluged the 2 connectors and reseated them. I havent (knock on wood) had a problem since.