New Ottawa R/T Owner

CCCacher

I just picked up my 2012 Journey R/T Rallye this week and I'm really enjoying it so far. I liked the Rallye package as I'm not a big fan of all of the chrome. I needed something that would let me do some geocaching down the back roads and old trails while still being a good daily driver. The nav package is great, I like that is from Garmin and the Alpine stereo give great sound with lots of bass. I'm taking a driving performance hit from my 2006 Impala SS but I'm finding that with a little persuasion that I can get the journey to give me it's own version of performance driving.

Thanks for putting up this forum.

Edited by CCCacher

......I can get the journey to give me it's own version of performance driving.

I actually embarrassed a 2010 BMW 335i recently. They tried to take me off two lights but they couldn't keep up. To be sure I wasn't mistaken, I held back on the second light to listen to their engine. Once I heard it hitting high rev I walked my DJ up to 100kmph which was more than enough to quickly pass.

Before anyone bashes me for any kind of dangerous driving, it was a long straight divided four lane road in an unpopulated area with an 80kmph limit. I wasn't drifting corners or racing through any school zones or anything more dangerous than a heavy foot. I'll also add that since getting the Journey, my wife has commented many times that I now drive like an old grandpa :lol:

There is no doubt that the driver of the 335i either wasn't really trying or is a really crappy driver. The 2010 335i is substantially faster than the Journey. Numerous car magazines have gotten 0-60 times of just under 5 seconds.

There is no doubt that the driver of the 335i either wasn't really trying or is a really crappy driver. The 2010 335i is substantially faster than the Journey. Numerous car magazines have gotten 0-60 times of just under 5 seconds.

I agree, but like I said I heard the bmw engine pull hard. It wasn't just a little loud, it was full out; especially off the second light. Now maybe the driver missed a shift (twice), or maybe it had engine/transmission problems, or maybe just a really bad driver; but all I can say is what happened and I know for a fact the BMW engine was pulling hard up to the point I passed.

Also, maybe they were running 87 octane fuel, I only use 89 in the Journey, maybe that combined with one of the other potential problems allowed my Journey to be a Hero for day :lol:

Count yourself lucky, that's all. On any given day, that vehicle (with a willing driver) will leave the Journey eating it's dust. It's no contest.

I personally don't like BMW, overpriced and too many electrical problems especially considering the price tag (personal knowledge based on multiple friends having multiple BMWs and since moving to Acura/Lexus). So I'll accept the bragging rights for that day and go back to my "grandpa" driving. :D

Anyway, we're getting a little off topic.

Enjoy your new ride CCC, and keep in mind that 89 octane fuel is recommended in the 3.6L.

I found it on a few threads on this forum, but can't find the exact ones now.

I believe its more of owners recommendations from personal trials rather than a manufacture recommendation.

I personally gave 89 a try and liked the results. If I do find the threads again I'll share'em.

You know that that thread is talking about the 2009/2010 model with the 3.5L engine, right? We have the 3.6L and I've never read anything from Chrysler about 89 octane fuel being recommended. To me, it's just an added expense with no real benefit.

This is what is says in the manual for my 2011:

This engine is designed to meet all emissions

regulations and provide excellent

fuel economy and performance when using

high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline

having an octane rating of 87. The use

of premium gasoline is not recommended,

as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in

these engines.

Edited by drb227

My impala SS ran better with premium but I used regular most of the time. I find the price of premium in the city crazy, I could usually find it cheaper in the country. In the states I'd always fill up with 93 and have a fun week or two. Costco usually has a good price for premium if you didn't mind the lines.

I'll try some premium in the Journey sometime once it is broken in and see if I can feel the difference.

Anyway, liking the journey so far. I'm still playing with the auto-stick to see if I can "manually" kick up the performance when I feel like it.