Rear Caliper Hanging Up - Several New Parts - Help Please :)

I'm hoping to find some help here within this community :)

I'll try to be brief with my story......

2009 Journey SXT FWD

Rear drivers brake started hanging up........got hot enough to glaze the rotor and crack the pads. I pulled it apart and both the caliper guide pins and pads still slid freely so I'm assuming a bad caliper. Replace both rear rotors and a new set of pads for each wheel and new drivers caliper. Made sure caliper and pads slid freely and didnt bind. The caliper is still dragging. Replaced the rubber line going to the caliper......reassemble......still dragging.

A couple things of importance

-No warning lights on dash.

-I have determined if only a light amount of break pressure is applied, the caliper will release and reapply as normal. it is only when a lot of break pressure is applied is when the caliper will tighten up and continue to drag until everything is disassembled and reset.

-there is one other rubber hose (a small one near the front of the rear suspension arm and the body of the car) that I did not replace so that might be where I start next.

-I'm wondering might this possibly have something to do with the ABS system or proportioning valve?????

Any help or insight from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Cooker

• 7 months later...

How did you ever make out with your rear brake issue. I have an 09 RT and guess what the D/S rear caliper sticks. My wife usually drives the vehicle so who knows how often this has happened before but I have been in it once when I got home off of the highway that I could smell the pads burning. I have also had to replace the bearing on the D/S rear side as well (I am sure to the excessive heat burning off the grease in the bearing). I just replaced my pads and rotor - the D/S was worn down considerably more than the P/S. I am thinking of changing the caliper as well, however after reading your post I am thinking this may be premature - possibly proportioning valve or something else?

Just curious if you are still experiencing the same issues or have them resoved.

Thanks

How did you collapse the caliper in the rear when you changed the pads? Did you use a "C" clamp and just compress them, or did you use a caliper compressor tool that turns the caliper in? On the 09 (and maybe other years) the rear calipers MUST be turned in, not compressed or you damage the caliper. Calipers do go bad, and with all the brake issues the DJ has it would not be surprising it was bad. I have an 09 and haven't had caliper issues, but have replaced the pads 3 times and rotors 2 times. After I switched to ceramic pads and aftermarket rotors, no problem.

When doing brakes, you need to make sure and use brake grease on all the sliding parts (pins, where pads meet the caliper housing). Not a lot, just a light coating to keep things moving.

Hope this helps!