First Oil change @ 5795Km

Psyke

Just did my first oil change at 5795km; Warning came on around 5700km or so. Oil/filter was pretty dark, but not the worst I've seen. Interesting that it comes on at this time when the maintenance guide suggests 13K km.. *shrug* no biggie.

For those wanting to know, Canadian Tire stocks the filters; they are listed as Fram CH10955 in their books (only one available for the V6 3.6L engine), but they didn't have them on the shelves. they have them in the back stock room and turns out they are the Mopar filters. just under $10.

All and all an extremely easy oil change; love the filter placement. There was more than 6L in the pan as I ran out of room emptying the waste back into the old bottles; will have to plan a little better next time.

Engine sounded even smoother after the change and a quick drive. Doing a 350Km trip tomorrow morning and again tomorrow night, so we'll see how the mileage goes.

Cheers!

Steph S.

Glad to hear that the oil change was a success! :) I too was a little surprized by the 13,000 km oil change interval as stated in the owners manual.....no way am I ever going near that mileage. Did you go with a synthetic or stick with the conventional motor oil?

BTW thanks for the filter info at CT. I got to check it out in my area and see if they have those filters also. On their website the only filter I see listed for the 2011 3.6L Journey is the cabin air filter but I'll talk to one of their parts people and see if they stock them in the back.

yeah, you have to talk to the parts department guys because they consider it a "special part". I just went with conventional for the summer. When I go to change it in the fall, I'll change it to a synthetic for those cold morning starts.

Yeah, the first oil change light will be sooner than normal. It's the breakin oil, you want to get rid of that a lot quicker and put fresh stuff in there. Mine came on at right around 4,000miles...but I do 90% highway driving is probably why mine was a bit later than yours.

After that you can do the every 8000mile oil changes like the manual says.

You guys seem to have the same car I have Crew 2012 v6, This is my first three days with the Journey and I get scared every time I read this forum and all the problems people are having. Have you experienced any major issues with Engine/Transmission etc? any weird sounds? engine vibration on idle or D?

The only thing I noticed so far (and I'm sooo paranoid and picky) is a very light engine vibration when stopping on a traffic light on D, or when moving the steering wheel while on reverse and not moving. is that normal?

Your input is highly appreciated ... i'm so anxious!

Nabil

Give it sometime to shake (pun) the bugs out.

Get some milage on it,preferably a moderate

road trip if possible.

Generally 5000-10000 km total will reveal

most genuine concerns which you should

have noted by your selling dealer.

Get that first oil change at 3000-5000 kms.

Mine had a slight vibration and clunked

occasionally R to D but at 10000 km has

disappeared.

You guys seem to have the same car I have Crew 2012 v6, This is my first three days with the Journey and I get scared every time I read this forum and all the problems people are having. Have you experienced any major issues with Engine/Transmission etc? any weird sounds? engine vibration on idle or D?

The only thing I noticed so far (and I'm sooo paranoid and picky) is a very light engine vibration when stopping on a traffic light on D, or when moving the steering wheel while on reverse and not moving. is that normal?

Nabil

Man, you need to relax a bit! You seem to be looking for problems. A little bit of engine vibration is normal in any vehicle.

Enjoy your new vehicle!

I have to agree with Drb, Enjoy the vehicle; you purchased new so you have a power train warranty. Note any concerns you have and bring them up with your dealer when you go in for your first service, but generally relax. I've spent hours in the three months I've had it so far just driving with the radio off, listening to the engine, not that I was looking for problems, but because I love how it sounds, particularly when I floor the gas :). Sure I hear transmission clunks, but what I've read on line, this is generally acceptable, even if it is a bit annoying. An 8speed transmission would probably smooth things out a bit.

On top of that, a lot of the engine problems you've probably been reading about are regarding the older 3.5 engine; This engine's issues, particularly oil issues, happens with all Chrysler vehicles. The Pentastar engine is still only a couple of years old and there will probably issues that'll pop up, but general reviews of the engine are highly favourable.

Cheers!

Steph S.

Nabil

I must agree with you Nabil that this site does post alot of negative reviews about the DJ which is pretty sad since I do like my vehicle alot. Thankfully, I didn't come across this site until after I bought my 2011 Journey, it most likey would have discouraged me from buying one. The Journey has been an absolutley outstanding vehicle thus far and that comes from someone who owned numerous Honda's in the past! Perhaps Chrysler should have customer service representatives patrol this site more frequently to help DJ owners with their issues......the chevy forum I also visit has CS representatives assisting frustrated owners with their issues. It's a little extra GM does to let their buyers know that they do somewhat care.

Anyhow enough of my rant.....Although my V6 is very quite and smooth when idling at traffic lights your problem doesn't really sound too serious to worry about unless it feels like a rough 4 cyl. engine idle then you may want to ask your dealership why is it so rough when it is brand new. I'd suggest waiting until your first oil change to see if things improve.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

There are really only 3 kinds of posters on automotive

forums:

1 Really happy owners who are usually the appearance modders.

Little annoyances don't bother them much as long as it starts every time.

2 Really unhappy owners who need a place to vent where unlike

their dealers no one shrugs their shoulders and says we can't help.

p.s. these people are sometimes formerly happy owners who went

too far with their mods.

3 Those who don't know about car forums and have no place to vent or get help.

Watch out for these people on the highway!

That is until they find us.

Edited by bigtsr

That sooooooooo helpful guys .. Thanks! such a relief to know that this is normal and it can go away after a while. I'm overall (so far) so happy with my Journey and hoping I'm not gonna see any problems soon.

It sounds to me not all Journeys are the same! it might have something to do with luck, maybe? it's weird to see some soooo happy owners and some so frustrated and problematic owners of the exact same car!

I now completed my 400 KM .. and still happy .. I will keep posting my impression every now and then!

Thanks again.