Weep Holes in Doors

lytefall

I thought I would post this here since its "kind of" interior. The weep holes in the doors, mine all have a small plastic sticker over them including the rectangular hole to the right side of the rear hatch. Water never drains from them except when I open and close the doors (big pain in the ass when your trying to detail/wax your car) and the rear hatch only drains when the hatch is in the full upright position (which makes for a nice trickle of water on your head when you go in there after a wash or a rain).

Are these stickers supposed to be there or were they not removed at the factory and were supposed to be? What good do they do to trap the water inside the door?

We had a crazy rain storm here where I am once and my rear passenger door got filled with water.I took it to the dealership and all they did was remove the stckers in the bottom of the door to drain it.I also read somewhere that it is safe to completeley remove those stickers.I removed mine and no more water in the door.

Thanks. I read a post a while ago (I thought it was on here.....maybe it was another dodge forum) .that they should be removed to allow proper drainage. I couldn't find the post again though so was unsure. The dealer said the one on the back is there to funnel te water to the left drain hole in the rear hatch which I find odd. Why put the hole there in the first place?

The other thing that really bothers me about this is that there is so much seepage from these holes after I detail my journey that it leaves white streaks down the plastic trim where it erodes away the trim protectant I have applied. On the doors there is a 1/4" slit in the sticker ( I assume to allow drainage) which begs the question...,why put the sticker there in the first place? I feel as if there must be a reason. I know it's just plastic but I cant see them wasting the money for nothing.

Edited by lytefall

I noticed the one of the rear hatch and just assumed it was something missed by the dealer when prepping my DJ. I just ripped mine off without thinking.

Mine did have a slit to allow some drainage but now there is more room without the sticker there. I did have to use some Goo Gone to get all the sticky residue off though.

After finding the sticker on the passenger side of the hatch I checked for one on the driver side and didn't find a sticker or a drain hole. It was dark out so maybe I missed it, I'll take a look for this and stickers on the other doors tomorrow.

I have noticed these plastic covers on weep holes after my other cars were oil sprayed. Always thought they installed them to allow the oil to pool more and penetrate small openings before running out ? Obviously they may have always been there maybe. Might be a good idea to keep them on if you plan on oil spraying the car ? May have less seeping out then, down the bottom of the car along doors etc... ?

I just came back from my dealer. Service manager says that they have been being advised lately to take them off the Avengers when doing the PDI because they had been finding they cause water to either drain more slowly than it should or become trapped inside the door altogether. Said they haven't been advised of doing the same to the DJs but obviously in theory the same principal should apply

Edited by lytefall

If its not in your coolant or your cup holder, any water kept in your vehicle is a bad thing and has got to go as quickly as possible.

As for oil spary, I haven't had mine done yet but suspect if a hole needs to be covered they will do that at the time they spray.