Swapping 4.3 to a 8.4

Justin Vandebeek

Note that there may well be *more* bits than just the radio module, depending on just what you are expecting from the upgrade - if you wanted the satellite radio, for example and you don't have it - or if you plan to add Bluetooth or buy the navigation version or backup camera. Then they may be features that require dealer activation to consider.

• 3 months later...

It isn't going to be a simple install and the radio doesn't come with the antenna - (I believe the antenna has the GPS receiver itself in it) and there are harnesses to run around te vehicle. As has been entioned, your vehicle may need dealer intervention for feature activation.

Given the cost it is a LOT cheaper to simply buy a top of the line stand-alone GPS and pocket the more than $2,000 this upgrade will cost (note that the Chrysler vehicle warranty won't apply to this accessory) - or, better yet, just trade the vehicle in and get a new one that has what you want.

Lots of negativity..

Lots of "don't do it'" on this thread.

Ok, there is a kit you can buy. This dealer sells it on eBay for around 1.5k.

If you have the 4.3s, then you're pre wired for sat and Bluetooth.

Or you scout eBay for the rb5 radio. You need the bottom faceplate with radio (radio sits behind AC controls). The difference is the SD card slot.

And the screen WITH the dash face plate (bezels) as the 8.4 screen won't fit the 4.3.

Not sure if you'll need dealer activation of features..

If you want back up cam, you'll need the c8 lock pick.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I actually lost an auction for the entire 8.4 radio on eBay. Went for 475$. What a steal!! Lost it with 10 seconds to spare.

Oh one more thing, you won't gain auto climate as you don't have the hardware required.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=350565875400

This dealer has been selling these since I've been looking for the rb5 radio. Contact them and see if they can get u the journey face plate.

I personally don't want to pay that much, but if you got it...

They prolly know more about this than anyone here. Try them, and let us know.

Good luck!!