Transmission Mounts

dodgemommaz

I mentioned this in my other "Stick Shifter Sticking" thread...

But I took my Journey in last week when I noticed a POP/CLUNK in the front end when I put it in Drive. Turns out (so they say) there were 2 improperly Torqued Tranny Mounts, causing them to 'pop out' hence the clunk. First you heard of this?

Btw...its a 2011..got it new Last June, put 14,070 miles on it as of this week.

The pop/clunk has been reported before and mine has done

it the odd time but very infrequently so next time I'm

in for oil change I'll mention your solution.

I don't put on a lot of miles about 600-700 a month is all

I do and being an old guy I tend to drive moderately

with inconsistent outbursts of speed lol.

Love the DJ ride,acceleration and room after 6 months

of ownership.

In my case the pop/clunk was caused by the nuts of the front wheel hubs getting loose.

They tightened them but that's not a proper solution, they have to be replaced (they're waiting for replacement parts).

Other people reported that the nut is not of the proper strength and it loosen every 3000/4000 km (1800/2500 miles).

• 2 months later...

I have the 4 cyl / 4 speed, and I actually had this pop sound when going from R to D to R while stopped, but it only happened when it was cold. It appeared at around 3000 miles. I thought maybe it would get worse and then I'd take it to the dealership, but it never got worse. At about 7000 miles the tires were wearing more on the front than the rear so I did a rotation myself in my garage with a pair of jacks. I immediately noticed the lug nuts weren't on very tight. After doing the rotation and using 100 ft-lbs on the lug nuts, the noise went completely away.

I also did a visual inspection of all of the motor and trans mount bolts, and there weren't any signs of unusual wear from being too loose, such as scuff marks where the bolt heads rest.

So if you buy brand new it might be worth putting a torque wrench on the lug nuts at about 3000 miles just to make sure they are all at spec.