First oil change

wrxz24

2800 miles and it was a breeze. I really like the drop in filter. I inspected it after I got it out and there were a lot small metal shavings from the break in period so the filter did it's job. The drain plug was very easy to get to as well. Overall, an easy DIY job. I bought two filters from the dealership and 5w/30 synthetic oil (walmart brand) and the plan is to change the filter after 3k miles and do another filter/oil change at 6k. I have used Walmart synthetic in my wrx from day one with great results 165,000 miles and still going strong.

2800 miles = 4500 kilometers

This may be a little early for synthetic oil but I change my own reglar oil every 4000-5000 kms.

Terry

I really haven't thought about that but I have done this to all of my new cars. First oil change, I have always switched to a synthetic.

The simple reality is that if you run oil for twice as long you have double the contaminants in the sump and circulating through the engine, offsetting any friction reduction benefits due to using synthetic by the increased friction from contaminants.

Since oil doesn't get 'used up' before it gets too dirty to reasonably keep in the engine, I use conventional 'dyno' oil and change it every 3K or so miles - that also gets a fresh filter into the system that much more often.

I've yet to lose an angine to wear.

the contaminants are caught in the oil filter and NOT sent back thur the enging as you are stating. that is the reason of the filter. yes you would be running the oil thur a slightly dirty filter but that is the job of the filter. and i have went 8 to 10k on my last 4 vans and my curent truck which s a 2001 dodge and they all never had any problems with the engines. but to each their own to what they like to do. i like to be able to go longer between oil changes as i put alot of miles on my cars while i was working. thank god that is history now. LOL

Wrong.

The filter can deal only with larger bits of contamination - if the filter caught it all then the oil wouldn't get black.

That you never had any problems means nothing. Did you do a leakdown test? A compression test? Did you pull the crank and check the big end bearings?

I didn't suggest the engine would blow up. Just that there's no benefit to paying triple for oil and that changing one third as often is not beneficial.

LOL

you are right if you changed the oil every 3k, but if you use syn. oil and change it every 8 -10 k then you are not wasting money.plus you WILL get better mpg by using syn oil, and not having to change it so often ,saving money and useing less oil . you are right as i never said i did leak down test or other procedures like i guess you did. my vans were used by my kids after i put 120k on them till they sold them with no engine problems.oh well keep changing your oil every 3k and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong.

The filter can deal only with larger bits of contamination - if the filter caught it all then the oil wouldn't get black.

That you never had any problems means nothing. Did you do a leakdown test? A compression test? Did you pull the crank and check the big end bearings?

I didn't suggest the engine would blow up. Just that there's no benefit to paying triple for oil and that changing one third as often is not beneficial.

LOL

This is false. The reason the oil turns black is because of carbon from spent gases not because of contaminants. LOL